Ghostly Thoughts

The gate collapsed, dust cluttered the sky. The hoard of zombies rushed forward like a tidal wave, destroying all in its path. Not even half of the survivors had managed to make it to safety in the sewers below, many were already gagging from the mixture of dirt and grime polluting the air. They weren't going to make it.

One of the men jumped into action, a split second decision to sacrifice his life for the lives of the others. He leapt into action, raising his arms and screaming as loud as he could, drawing all of their attention to himself. He ran the opposite direction, diving into the tiny play ground and rolling to his feet. He gained his balance and tore through the field vanishing behind the building, the massive undead army hot on his heels. He would surely die, there was no exit and he would be trapped. Swarmed by the flesh eating monsters I had unleashed upon the world. The other survivors quickly darted into the tunnel and together they all ran into the unknown underground maze. There's no telling if they would survive down there or where they would go next but they were safe for now and that's all I could offer. Chloe came stumbling stupidly around the corner, a decent sized chunk of the dead mans scalp in her hands. Following behind her was the sea of zombies, they scattered in search of their next meal.
"I'm so over this dead me. Can we just take a break from eating every moving thing with a pulse? No wait! Hey! Stop that's a-"
She walked face first into a fence before falling on her ass.
"Idiot" I muttered.

How far had the virus spread? Was there any part of the world still intact? Was anyone able to set up a stronghold to fight back? Was anyone even working towards a cure? Zombies had always been a fad, everyone loved the movies and the intense violence but was anyone actually prepared for the real thing? What happened to my friends and family, did the town even have time to evacuate? So many questions racked my brain. Chloe seemed to have grown tired and fell over in a bush to rest, perhaps zombies had to sleep as well? While I had no physical exhaustion my mind was dead tired from all the cluttered thoughts. Dead. It's still hard to believe I'm actually dead. There's no other explanation for this is there? Maybe it's all a dream? Maybe I just drank too much and all of this is in my head. It feels so real. I'm not completely ready to accept the fact that I sealed the fate of the entire world. I alone exterminated the entire human population with one single dog bite. A tiny little dog that any normal person could have evaded, but no my stupid ass had to provoke the pooch and destroy the world. I could still see the panic-stricken faces of the survivors. Mothers and daughters with tear filled eyes, fathers and sons with heartbroken glances. The terror that shook them to the core like cattle who just heard there's gonna be steak for dinner. Every human still alive on the planet hiding, anxiously praying that they don't hear the dinner bell ring. I could still smell the decaying scent of death, the bitter taste of blood, I could still hear the cries of pain as undead Chloe tore through Daniel, ripped the limbs from the defenseless girl, the disgusting sound of flesh on rotted teeth and nails on bone. It was sickening.
I wanted to die all over again but what would that accomplish? I needed to stay with zombie Chloe and find a cure.

In the distance I could hear the faint buzzing of alarms over a radio. It seemed Chloe was too exhausted to pay them any mind at the moment. A national security broadcast was faintly echoing through the neighborhood.
"Doomsday" they called it.
Safe zones had been administered within certain areas across the globe, boarders were closed and barricaded, the US government was fighting to hold back the zombies at the state line.
This meant that the virus was secluded to West Virginia, my home town in Mongolia county had surely fallen but maybe there was still a chance for the world outside of all of this wreckage.

Zombie Chloe stirred and grunted flashing a gruesome mouthful of bloody teeth as she gnarled at the empty sky.
"Tired after filling your stomach with raw human? Like seriously couldn't you eat animals or something like the vampires in twilight? It's the same thing right?"
No response.

Even as a ghost I could still feel the night air against my skin, the wind was stale and bitter.
How did it come to this? Following a zombie version of myself through my old town. So many memories lodged in this one location. So much pain and regret surfacing for the things I never got to do and the things I'll never do again. All of the people I never got a chance to say goodbye to.
There will be a cure, I remind myself. Someone, somewhere will make a cure and I will be first in line to receive it then I'll set it all right I'll undo all of my wrongs. I'll make it right!