It was like being thrown in cold water. Sheila stepped forward to scold the girl for asking about something so personal but I shook my head at her. "Sometimes the Mates our Moon Goddess gives us are not the ones we want," I breathed. It hurt to say it, but the truth could not be denied. Kai and I were picked for each other, but we didn't work.

"But you're so kind. Why doesn't he want you? The Moon Goddess doesn't make mistakes, does she?" She fired the questions at me in one breath.

I smiled sadly at her. "No, the Moon Goddess doesn't make mistakes. She picks Mates who are meant to fit together. However, sometimes Mates want other people. Maybe they want someone kinder, someone more beautiful, or stronger. The fault does not lie with our Goddess, it lies within us if we do not accept our Mate. Some Mates want more or want less than what their Mate can offer, or they want something they cannot have. It is up to ourselves if we wish to accept or reject them."

My throat felt as though someone was racking their claws down it. It burned from the sorrow I was feeling, but I refused to let my hurt show. I didn't want to scare the children with my tears. The Mate Bond was scary enough, no need to frighten them with the thought of the pain they would face if they were rejected.

"But how can we live without Mates? Without them, we can't survive, right? They're supposed to take care of us, right?" A little girl with two pig tails spoke up from the back, her eyes wide with worry.

"Mates are a wonderful thing, but it is important you learn to stand on your own two feet as well. You cannot solely rely on your Mate to shape you, protect you, and guide you. You have to take responsibility, so you too can provide them with guidance and protection. Your Mate is not your superior, he or she is your equal and sometimes they will feel just a hopeless as you, and when they do they will turn to you for help. You need to learn to be strong so you can support them just as they support you."

They looked at me in awe and it warmed my heart to see them so intrigued. I didn't realise I missed being able to talk normally to people without them mentioning a comment to my supposed lacking of the ability to shifting. Amaranth too enjoyed the friendly exchange, even if it was just with children.

"Well class, do you have anymore questions? If not, why don't we give Laura a big thank you for giving up her time to talk to us," Sheila spoke.

The children let out a loud chorus of "thank you's" and I smiled a little. I rose, when two arm wrapped themselves around my thigh. I looked down and saw the blonde girl with two pigtails hugging my leg. She looked up at me with her big eyes and I placed a hand on her head.

She tugged at my hand and I kneeled so my eyes were levelled with hers. "Yes?"

"Are you coming back again?"

I gave her a small smile and she reached up to poke my cheek. She giggled and I mimicked the sound. "Would you like me to?"

She nodded eagerly before wrapping her arms around my neck. "You make me happy. And you're so warm. Please come back."

"You'll see me around, sweetie, especially when I pick up Mira after school, okay?"

Again, she nodded her head eagerly before running off. Sheila came over as I rose to my feet again. "Sorry about Mellie. She likes close contact."

Shaking my head, I smiled at the little girl's behaviour. "It's alright. She was a sweetheart."

"Thank you for today. It was even better than I thought. And I am sorry they asked about the Alpha. I know it is a sensitive topic and I should have told them before hand not to bring it up."

"It wasn't as bad as I thought. Besides, I need to get over it, so talking about it is a good thing in a way, I guess. It was adorable how focused they were though."

Sheila laughed. "I've never seen them so attentive, even when I promised them honey popsicles. I was hooked the minute you started." She played with her rings, looking at the ground nervously. I knew she wanted to ask something.

"Just ask, Sheila."

"It's just...how did you know those things about Mates? Since you.." she trailed off but I knew she wanted to say something about me never really having a Mate.

"My mother," I answered quietly. I remembered her taking me out into the meadow, where we would sit in a field of flowers and she would talk to me. It was one of the few happy memories I had left of her. The rest had grown vague over the years or were tainted with her death. "When I was younger she used to tell me about respect and love between Mates. I may never have really had one, but I know if I did, I would know how to treat him. Now I can only pass on my advice, but if it'll help them form better Bonds, then passing on is what I will do."

Sheila swallowed hard. "By Goddess, you would have been a marvellous Luna," she whispered. I didn't think she intended for me to hear, because she quickly cleared her throat. "Thank you again for today. It really helped the kids."

I said my farewell and collected Mira from the playground where she was waiting for me. She was on the seesaw with Connor and I watched them for a moment before calling them over. The three of us headed back to the pack house.