Chapter Nineteen - The Parting Gift

End of May approached, as swift as summer, and so did the final Quidditch match of the season. It was a very interesting match between Hufflepuff and Gryffindor, both teams at an even score after their respective stream of matches. Slytherin had been out of the Quidditch cup for long, for committing a foul that got them disqualified from the league itself. After Ravenclaw's match with Gryffindor, in which they lost, they played the very enthusiastic Hufflepuff. By the end of the match, it was very clear that Hufflepuff could not be taken for granted, as they flattened Ravenclaw with a score of sixty to four hundred and twenty. The Hufflepuff Seeker Susan Wiener of fifth year ended up capturing the Snitch from right under the nose of Cho Chang, which drove Roger Davies to wits end. After this very disappointing defeat for Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff advanced a step further into the final match of the championship, that versus the unbeatable team of Gryffindor.

Harry had taken up Wood's task, and was training the Gryffindor team harder than ever. The only thing that kept the team sane were Fred's and George's practical jokes on Harry. One of them involved Harry's Firebolt being Transfigured into a Comet Two-Sixty. For some continuous practices, Harry could not catch the Snitch even once. Seeing the Captain of their team flying in starts and looping around in the air was funny to everyone, including Ginny, who helped her brothers get Harry's Firebolt out of his room. After Harry being disappointed for almost a week, a reluctant and highly amused Hermione let Harry know of the change in his broom, which angered Harry so much that he banned Fred and George from the next practice. As it turned out, the team could not do anything without both the Beaters, and hence the twins were included in the next practice, much to the happiness of the rest of the team.

Ginny had taken a rather stubborn turn on her post as the Keeper, and she missed two consecutive practices to prove how firm she was in her stand of not being a Keeper.

"I cannot do this, Harry!" she had yelled, and stormed out of the Common Room. Harry had talked to Hermione about his endless problems, and Hermione had pushed sense into her, which made her rejoin the team.

Days passed in a blur, as though one, and Harry was suddenly shaking hands with the Hufflepuff captain Dale Henricks, snapping out of his reverie of all the previous practices. Aware of every inch of his body and the nerves that he felt before the match, Harry launched himself to the sky after Madam Hooch's shrill whistle, and so did thirteen other players. The match had begun.

A very bad start for Gryffindor, Harry could make out, as Hufflepuff had scored four times continuously, much to the dismay of Ginny, who was as furious and red as her hair. She kept glancing darkly at any player who came towards the Gryffindor end of the post. Fred and George were trying their best to unseat anyone they could from the opposite team. It was their charm, again, that worked wonders for the Gryffindor team.

On seeing the Hufflepuff Chaser headed for the goalpost, Fred aimed a Bludger right at that Chaser, who was quite oblivious to anything but the Quaffle in his hand. The Bludger hit not the player, but the Quaffle in the hands of the player, which went soaring past Harry into the other end of the stadium in one of the Hufflepuff goalposts. The Hufflepuff Keeper could not believe his eyes. All the students in scarlet could not keep the laughter out of their voice, and soon, the team of Gryffindor was laughing uncontrollably at the shenanigans of the Weasley twins, despite the very serious playing environment.

This spectacularly unanticipated goal gave the Gryffindor team a boost that nothing else could. Angelina, motivated by the fact that Beaters had been scoring better than she had, never let the Quaffle out of her hand unless she had to pass it to Alicia or Katie. The other two girls took up their task very seriously, and ended up scoring goal after goal. The stadium in scarlet danced with glee, but it was nothing compared to Lee Jordan who could not keep the happiness and sass out of his voice.