Chapter Nine - The Proof

"Hermione, why are you so bent on ambushing poor old Ab for something or the other?" George asked dramatically.

"He's a nice, jolly old man," Fred added.

"Where was he when we were fighting?" Hermione asked the Twins.

"He came at the right moment when we were overwhelmed. Oh, 'mione, be thankful."

"Although, boys, listen to me."

Fred and George smirked as Hermione finished her strategies and theories and speculations about their current Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher.

"Oh you child. Hermione-"

"No-"

"We still wouldn't want to go to dear old Aberforth."

"Why?" Hermione asked.

"No," the Twins chorused. Fred even looked a bit frantic.

"Why?" Hermione insisted further.

"You wouldn't want to know-" George started.

"We actually-"

"Wait, Freddie! Should we tell her? Oh, she's the precious Prefect. She might punish us." George shuddered. "Or worse, make us do lines."

"I'm clever enough not to," Hermione said, looking up to the Twins with sparkled eyes. "I have the hang of the tricks you boys have up your sleeves."

"I wouldn't bet on that."

"I would have exposed you both already if I were to really do it. Use your brain, boys."

Hermione stared at George intently. George looked at Hermione defiantly in turn. Fred looked at George uncertainly.

"Er, George. We could, we should. We told Lee after all. She should know," Fred said sheepishly.

"You are responsible if she goes all 'ickle Prefect' on us."

"Yes, George," Fred said solemnly. Then he turned to Hermione. "So Hermione, we actually used-"

"Small amounts of-"

"Let's not lie this time, George."

George took a deep, shaky breath. "Okay, Fred." He turned to Hermione. "We used liberal amounts of-"

"Veritaserum-"

"On old Ab," George finished weirdly.

"Oh no you didn't!" Hermione said loudly and gasped.

It took no time for George to become his normal self after a dark confession to Hermione. He threw a flustered look. "'Mione, you just heard what we said. We did."

"We were rather bored because we had nothing to do-"

"Oh, Fred and George! You should study! You have your N.E.W.Ts!"

"We could always give them later."

"What do you mean by later? Retake this year again? Oh no, it's for seventh years! Oh, no. What will happen if that toad of a teacher finds out?! Oh, you'll be expelled, you both! I had told you, both of you! Fred! I thought you were the more sensible twin! Oh, what have you landed yourselves into?!"

George looked as though he had been called 'unfunny' when Hermione mentioned that Fred was the smarter twin. Fred looked a mixture of abashed and proud, smirking at George openly.
From across the Common Room, people were staring at the twins and Hermione at her sudden outburst.