30. Mission: Girlfriend

Start from the beginning

                Taking my seat beside my boyfriend, I rest my head against his shoulder, feeling his arm wrap around me tightly. A smile slipped onto my lips as I felt content again – everyone was friends again, and there was zero drama. Actually, I shouldn’t speak to soon, I thought as my mind wandered to Jamie and whatever she was up to last night. She wouldn’t cheat – right?

                I glanced at her nervously, biting my bottom lip. Jamie was curled up beside Niall, head in his chest as he had one arm wrapped around her, his free hand lifting chips and his sandwich up to his lips. She looked content enough, so why cheat on this boy? As the foreboding feeling slipped into my stomach, I gripped Zayn tighter, wanting to feel safe in his arms – which is exactly what happened.

                “You all have girlfriends except me,” Harry mumbled suddenly, making a face as he glanced around the room.

                Louis raised a brow, saying, “What about that fan that you fancied?”

                Harry shrugged. “She was a little too crazy.”

                I laughed at his reasoning, saying, “There are millions of girls throwing themselves at you every day and you can’t just pick?”

                “It isn’t that easy,” Harry sighed.

                “Jamie?”

                “Yes, Rose?”

                “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

                “Matchmaker?”

                “Yup!”

                Harry groaned while Jamie and I laughed, jumping up from our seats and leaving the arms of our boyfriends. Both of them frowned in protest, but we just zoomed out of the room, barely calling a ‘goodbye’ out to them before slipping out the front door of our apartment. When Jamie and I got to the parking garage, we located her car and slipped in, turning on the radio as we pulled out onto the street.

                “So,” I said, glancing at her. “Is everything alright with you and Niall?”

                Jamie’s smile faltered for a second. “Why do you ask?”

                I groaned. “Because I knew this was coming – you didn’t confirm or deny. What’s going on with you two? He seemed happy at the apartment.”

                “It’s not him, it’s me.” She mumbled.

                As she sped down the streets to the basic downtown area, I told her to elaborate. “What’s wrong with you, then?”

                She hesitated. “When you and Zayn started going out, did you get the slightest bit jealous when you saw all of those gorgeous girls begging for his attention?”

                “Yeah,” I answered truthfully. “I did.”

                “How did you get over it?”

                As Jamie pulled over and snagged one of the last parking spaces, I unbuckled my seat belt. She did the same, getting out of the car and rounding it to come over to my side as we walked through town, looking for someone Harry would show interest in.

                “You have to remember that he chose you out of all of those girls.” I told my best friend, sending her a smile. “Niall didn’t want any fan – he was practically in puppy love the second he got to know you.”