Love Is A Battlefield-Part 2

I wiped away the tears that were dripping down my puffy red cheeks. Frodo moved in close and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, rubbing it, soothingly.

I gazed up at Frodo with my sorrowful dark green eyes. "Merry, he...he asked me if I wanted to marry him. I...I said 'yes'. Then, he...brought out this expensive ring and said that after we were married, t-t-then we would have children in no time." There was a shakiness in my voice. "F-Frodo, I don't want children! I don't even feel that way about Merry! I love him, but not like that! And....And...I don't think that Merry is fit to be a parent! He smokes too much and drinks too much and always gets into trouble! Plus, I never had a mother figure in my life! I don't even want a mother figure in my life! Frodo, when I was brought into this world, I was suffering so much! I nearly died in the Eastfarthing woods! Imagine how much pain and suffering I would have to go through to bring another child into this world! I don't want this, Frodo! I don't want this!"

A worried expression grew on Frodo's face. It looked as if he was haunted by an old memory from his own childhood or if he was haunted by the memory of him finding me in the Eastfarthing Woods.

"I...I'm so sorry, Brianna." He murmured. "I had no idea." Frodo thought back to when I said that Merry proposed to me and said that he wanted to have children with me. He paused for a brief moment, then looked back at me with his wide ocean blue eyes and he began to speak.

"You said that Merry proposed to you, is that correct?"

I nodded my head in agreement. "Y-yes, he did, Frodo. He did. And I said 'yes'."

"And he wanted to have children with you?"

I nodded my head again. I felt a deep lump growing in my throat. I swallowed hard.

"Y-Yes, he said that he wanted to. He said we'd have them in no time. I don't want this, Frodo. Please, I don't want this."

Frodo rubbed my shoulder, comfortingly. "I understand, my dear Brianna. I understand." He repeated.

"I mean...I wanted to marry Merry, but not have children with him." I rubbed my eyes with the sleeve of my shirt.

Frodo's voice drifted into a whisper. "I understand, Brianna. I understand. Brianna, my dearest, I know that you love Merry very much, but I feel that maybe you should wait until you're a bit older to get married. You are still quite young. You have a whole life to live. I love you too much to consider marrying you off. You are my daughter and you mean the world to me. I don't want to lose you, Brianna. I understand if you do not want to have children. It is your choice to make."

"I feel like Merry wasn't giving me much of a choice, Frodo." I sniffled. "He called me selfish just because I didn't want children. I'm not selfish, am I, Frodo? Am I?"

"Not at all, Brianna. Not at all." Frodo smiled, while brushing my hair back gently behind my ears.

"Merry doesn't care about what I want." I grumbled. "He only cares about what he wants. He only cares about what makes him happy."

"I don't think that is true, Brianna." said Frodo. "I am sure that he cares about you, even if it doesn't look like it. He'll always hold a special spot for you in his heart. Because he loves you."

I shook my head in frustration. "What if he doesn't anymore? What if he forgets about me? What if he meets another girl that makes him happy? What if he completely ignores me for the rest of his life?" I asked.