Doing The Right Thing

Merry had come over to visit Bag End while Frodo was shopping down at the market. I was sitting on the end of my mattress, trying to finish my ink drawing of a rose that I found in Frodo's garden this afternoon.

I didn't think my drawing was good enough. I thought it looked terrible, actually. I can't believe that Frodo actually likes my drawings. He thinks that they're beautiful, just like me.

I clenched my ink pen tightly in my hand and scribbled on the poorly drawn rose. I crumpled up the paper and threw it on the ground, in frustration.

"Gah! I'm never going to be good at drawing!" I grumbled to myself.

I got up from my bed and set my ink pen down on top of my nightstand. I felt kind of hungry. My stomach was growling. I realized that I hadn't eaten lunch yet. I decided that it would be a good idea to head down to the pantry and find something to eat.

I raced down a long hallway which lead straight to the pantry. When I had arrived there, I scanned all of the shelves for something to eat. There was a plate of freshly baked biscuits sitting on a plate. I decided to help myself to a couple of them.

After I ate my biscuits, I thought I would head back to my room and grab one of my books that Frodo gave me and then head down to the living room to read for a while.

As I was walking to my room, I felt someone grabbing me by the waist and tickling me. I turned around and shrieked in fear. Merry was standing in front of me. He was laughing uncontrollably.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Brianna." Teased Merry. "Did I frighten you?"

I crossed my arms in frustration. A frown fell upon my face. "That wasn't very kind of you, Merry! Why did you do that for?"

"I was only having a little bit of fun." Merry chuckled.

I shot Merry an angry look. "I'm serious, Merry. Please, don't do that again. I hate being scared like that." I uncrossed my arms and let them hang down.

I stared at my feet, melancholy. I almost felt like I was going to cry. I could feel the tears swelling up in my eyes.

Merry cupped his hand underneath my chin. "Hey, Bri. You all right?" he asked me, lightheartedly.

I sighed loudly. My voice cracked as I spoke. "Does....does it look like I'm alright?" A single tear fell down my cheek.

Merry clicked his tongue. "Awww. My poor angel. Please don't cry. I don't like seeing you all upset. I was only joking around. Don't take things so seriously all the time."

"You think that everything's a joke." I whimpered. "Everything is so funny to you. Oh, who am I kidding? I'm nothing but a joke." More tears rushed down my face.

"That's not true, Brianna. You're not a joke." said Merry, in a serious tone of voice. "I just like to have fun with you, you know? No harm, no foul. I love you. You know that I do, right?"

I wiped away a few of my tears and tried to calm down. I took a couple of deep breaths. "Yeah. I do know that." I sniffled. "I'm sorry, Merry."

Merry shook his head. "No. Don't apologize. You don't have to. Nothing is your fault." Merry motioned me to come forward. "Come on, Brianna. Come over here. Let me hold you for a while."

I nodded my head and slowly walked over to him. Merry clasped me tightly in his arms and started rocking me back and forth. I rested my head against his shoulder and closed my eyes, listening to Merry's voice.