Merry's Confession

Merry and I were quietly sitting beside each other in the Eastfarthing Woods. "Hey, Merry. Have you seen Pippin anywhere?" I asked him, timidly. "He's at home." Merry replied. "It's such a beautiful day, isn't it, Merry?" "Mmm hmm."
There was a beautiful orange sunset in the sky. The sun was shining through Merry's light brown curls. I let out a soft sigh. "You know, Merry, I like spending time with you. You're like the best friend that I never had." "What do you mean? Don't you have other friends?" "No. No one wants to be my friend. It's hard being a human living among hobbits. I don't fit in here, in the Shire." Merry gazed at me with his light blue eyes.
"Of course, you do." reassured Merry. "I'm really glad that you live here in the Shire." He wrapped his left arm around my shoulders. I didn't know what to do. "Really?" I responded. "Mmm hmm." Merry replied. "Gosh, Merry. I don't know what to say." I stuttered. I looked up at the sky and noticed that it was getting late. "Merry, I really think I should go. I don't want Frodo to worry about me." "Come on, Bri. Stay. Only for a few more minutes." "But, I have to get back home."
"Please, stay. I want you to. Come on. Please? Pretty please?" Merry insisted. "I know you want to." I knew that I couldn't let Merry down. "Alright, Merry. I'll stay with you." I smiled at him. "Atta girl!" Merry cheered. "I knew you could never say no."
"But, I only have one condition. You have to walk me home." "Fine by me." chuckled Merry.
I twiddled my thumbs, nervously. I stared at the ground and didn't pay any attention Merry. Merry placed a hand on my shoulder. "Hey. Why the long face?" He asked me. "It's nothing, Merry." I lied. "I'm just...tired." "I know something's wrong, Bri. Why won't you tell me? Hmm?" "Nothing's wrong."
All of a sudden, Merry pressed his fingers against my waist and he started to tickle me. "What are you doing?!", I laughed. "I'm trying to get you to tell me what's wrong." Merry replied, with a grin on his face. "Well, it's not working." "You're so serious." Merry giggled. "No, I'm not!" "Yes, you are." Merry continued to tickle me. There were tears coming out of my eyes. "Stop! Stop! Please, stop, Merry!" I giggled. "Alright, alright. I'll tell you. I'll tell you."
"Alright. Let's hear it, then." Merry responded. I let out a loud sigh. "Merry, I...I...I...really like you. I really do. I've always liked you." I slapped my hand on my forehead. "Shoot! It wasn't supposed to come out that way! I sounded like an idiot!" I mumbled to myself.
"You like me, huh?" replied Merry. I chuckled, nervously. "Uh, yeah. Yeah, I do." "Oh, I see." muttered Merry. "I know it sounds crazy." I frowned. "No, no, no. It doesn't." Merry smiled. "Really?" Merry nodded his head. "You don't sound crazy at all. Actually, there was something that I've wanted to tell you, but I thought you'd get upset with me."
"What did you want to tell me, Merry?"
I looked up at him, innocently. "I really like you, too." "You do?" "Yep. Actually, I'm...I'm in love with you, Bri." I jumped up from the forest floor. "You're in love with me?" I stuttered.
Merry got up and stood in front of me. "Did I frighten you?" he asked me. "No, you didn't. I was just surprised that you would say that." I stammered. "Why are you surprised?" Merry asked me. "I'm surprised because...because...I thought that someone like you would never be in love with me." "Hmm, I see." replied Merry.
"Merry, I have a confession to make." I said, anxiously. "I'm...I'm...in love with you, too." "You are?" I nodded my head. I have always loved Merry. I was just to afraid to say it.
Merry gazed into my eyes and pulled me close to him. He gently kissed me on the cheek. I started to giggle. "I love you, Brianna." he whispered. "I...love you, too, Merry." I stuttered.
Merry grabbed a hold of my hand and kissed it, softly. "Come now. Let's get you back to Bag End. We can't have Frodo worrying about you, now can we?"
When we made it back to Bag End, Frodo was sitting in his garden, waiting for my return. "Brianna, you're back." Frodo smiled. "I'm so sorry, Frodo. I didn't mean to be out so late." Merry walked with me up the front porch.
"Don't worry, Frodo. I made sure she was alright. I was with her the whole time." Frodo nodded his head. "Thank you, Merry, for watching over her." "It's no problem at all, Frodo." Frodo took a hold of my hand. "Goodnight, you two." said Merry, as he headed down the front porch. "Goodnight, Merry." Frodo and I replied. Frodo gazed at me and smiled. "Come on, dear. It's time for bed."