I Would Never Hurt You

In Bag End, Merry and I were sitting together at the kitchen table. We were both enjoying a hot mug of tea, along with some delicious biscuits.

I kept to myself most of the time. I quietly sipped at my tea, while Merry was helping himself to most of the biscuits. I smiled politely at him.

"You sure do like those biscuits, Merry." I said, shyly.

"Mm hmm." Mumbled Merry, while munching on a biscuit. Some of the crumbs had fallen onto his waistcoat. "These are good! Since when do you bake?"

"Frodo taught me how to make them. It's really easy." I replied.

"You're going to have to give me the recipe, Brianna." Merry teased. He chuckled softly. I looked over at him and blushed. "I love these biscuits." Merry continued. "But, I don't love them as much as you. They're not as sweet."

"Aww, Merry. That's so kind of you to say that." I smiled. "Thank you. Wait, were you joking around or did you really mean it?"

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. Oh, Bri. You're too serious. I did mean it. I would never lie to you." Said Merry, sincerely. He cupped my chin with his right hand and stroked my cheek with the other.

"You wouldn't?" I asked, timidly.

Merry shook his head. "No. Do I look like someone who would lie to you?" It sounded like he was being serious. "What makes you think this?"

I had to be careful with my words. I didn't want to hurt Merry's feelings. But, I had to be honest. I was lost in thought; thinking of the right words to say.

"Well.....you....you're a bit of a troublemaker." I said, shakily. "Well, that's just what people think of you. I-I-I was afraid that you would use me to your own advantage because I'm quiet and shy and I'm much more vulnerable than you." I closed my eyes and sighed. "I'm....I'm so sorry, Merry."

"I'm glad you were being honest, Brianna." answered Merry. "You don't have to apologize to me. There's no need to. Yes, people call me a troublemaker. But, honestly, Bri, I wouldn't take advantage of you. I would never hurt you. You're too beautiful. And I'm not just sayin' that. I really mean it."

I felt Merry take a hold of my hands and rubbing them together in his. "You think too much, Bri." He said, softly. "I don't want you doin' that."

"I try not to." I stuttered.

"Good." Merry smiled. "That's good. Now, Brianna. I want you to promise me somethin'. Alright? Please don't worry so much. You know that I love you. Right?"

"Yes. I know that. I know, Merry."

Merry's voice drifted into a gentle whisper. "Then, you don't have anything to be worryin' about. Alright?"

"Alright."

"Alright." Merry repeated. "That's good. Now, can you do me another favour?"

"What would you like me to do, Merry?"

Merry firmly placed his hands on my shoulders and pecked me on the lips. "I want you to tell me that you love me." he continued.

"I love you, Merry." I said, confidently. "I love you."

"I know you love me, Bri." Merry grinned. "I know you do."