Missing Bilbo

It was awfully quiet in Bag End. Frodo had spent most of his day sitting in his study, looking over old books and maps. While Frodo was busy, I was wandering around the long, wide corridors of the hobbit hole, lost in thought.

When you spend a long period of time in one place, you get bored easily. I wished that I could spend some time outside and enjoy the cool fresh air, but I was afraid that I would get teased again by the hobbits. They don't take too kindly to humans. I felt safe with Frodo inside and outside Bag End because there was someone there to protect me. I also had Merry, but he gets busy sometimes. Merry's usually hanging around with Pippin. But, he always would make time for me, too, because he loved me. He told me that I was important to him.

I walked towards Frodo's study. I knocked quietly on his door and asked if I could come in. "Yes, of course you can." Frodo replied. Frodo's voice sounded sad and melancholy. "Is everything alright, Frodo?" I asked, politely. "You don't sound too happy. Or look too happy."

Frodo sniffled. "I'm afraid that I'm feeling a bit out of sorts, today, my dear one."

I moved in closer to Frodo and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I'm so sorry, Frodo. I had no idea. I can stay with you for a while. That might make you feel better."

"Thank you, Brianna. That is very thoughtful of you." I noticed an open book on Frodo's desk. The pages were full of scribbles. Could it have been a journal or diary that Frodo kept? It must of been something deeply personal to him. I looked away from the book and fixed my gaze on Frodo's right hand. There was a long, black ink pen in his grasp. It seemed like he didn't want to let go of it. His hand was trembling.

I was worried about Frodo. I thought it would be best to ask him about what was troubling him. I thought it would've been the right thing to do.

"Are you worried about something, Frodo?" I asked, timidly. "It's alright. I'm right here. I'll listen. I'm always here for you. I care about you. I want to help."

"Thank you, dear." Frodo replied, in a quiet voice. "That means a lot. As a matter of fact, I am worried about something. Actually, it's someone. It's...It's Bilbo."

"Do you miss Bilbo, Frodo?" I asked.

Frodo swallowed hard. "Yes, Brianna. I do miss Bilbo. Bilbo meant so much to me."

"I know, Frodo." I soothed. "I know you do. I understand."

"I felt like Bilbo was the only one that understood me

"I felt like Bilbo was the only one that understood me." Frodo whimpered. "Bilbo loved me. Now that he's in Rivendell, I'll never get the chance to see him again. Rivendell is so far away from the Shire. So far away. It pains me that Bilbo will never get to see me again. When...when Bilbo left...."

Frodo dropped his ink pen on the floor. It was starting to become difficult for him to speak. There was an uneasiness in his voice. His baby blue eyes were filling up with crystal clear tears.

I began rubbing Frodo's back in soothing, circular motions. "It's alright, Frodo. It's alright." I consoled. "You don't have to continue if you don't want to. I understand. I understand."

I reached out my arms and allowed Frodo to hold me for a while. "H-H-He'll never see me again." he choked. "Oh, Brianna. O-O-Oh, my dearest, Brianna. It pains me so much. It pains me."

"Shhh. Shhh." I soothed. "It's alright, Frodo. It's alright. I'm here for you. I'm always here for you. I know that you miss Bilbo and I'm sure that he misses you, too. I'm sure that you will get to see Bilbo again, someday. Maybe you will get the chance to visit Rivendell. I can come with you, too. Would't that be wonderful? You've told me that it was such a beautiful place. There are lots of gardens and waterfalls. The elves are probably looking after and taking care of Bilbo, I'm sure of it. He's safe there. I'm sure that Bilbo is smiling right now, thinking about you. Even though Bilbo isn't here, you still have me. I love you, Frodo."

A wide grin grew on Frodo's face. Frodo's heart lightened. "Oh, Brianna. My darling. That was kind of you to say that. You made me feel better. Without you, I don't know what I would do. I knew that adopting you was the greatest decision that I could ever make. You don't know how proud I am to have a beautiful, smart, and kind daughter like you. You are right. Bilbo is safe in Rivendell. I am sure that he is still alive. I think Bilbo would love to meet you. I could introduce you to him. Do not worry, Brianna. He is not like other Hobbits. I'm sure he'll take kindly to you."

"I'm sure he will." I smiled. "You shouldn't be alone, Frodo. I miss you. I was thinking maybe we could have some tea and biscuits? It sounds like a fun idea to me. What do you think?"

Frodo smiled back at me. "That sounds like a wonderful idea, Brianna. Would you like to help me make the biscuits?"

"I would love to, Frodo. I really would." I gave Frodo a warm and reassuring hug and helped him up. Frodo gently took a hold of my hand and we both walked down to the kitchen.