Merry's Nightmare

The next evening, I was lying in my bed, sleeping peacefully. I had heard a mysterious noise coming from outside my bedroom. An uneasy feeling grew inside me. I was so scared that I couldn't even move. My heart was frozen. I wondered where that noise was coming from. Curiosity had gotten the best of me so I got up from my bed and I timidly tiptoed out of my room and into the hallway.
All of a sudden, I could hear Merry calling out my name. He sounded frightened and vulnerable. This was the first time that I have ever heard Merry crying. I knew that I had to do something about it. I quickly rushed over to one of the guest rooms in Bag End, where Merry was sleeping. I quietly knocked on his door. "Merry? Merry, are you alright?" "B..B...Bri...Bri...." Merry blubbered.
I walked into his room and saw him shaking violently underneath his bedsheets. "Merry, it's me. It's Brianna. I'm here." I whispered. I walked over to his bedside and I sat down at his bedside. "Merry. It's alright." I said, in a soft tone of voice. "You don't have to hide." I gingerly lifted the bedsheets off of Merry's head. His face was as pale as a ghost and tears were rushing down his face.
Merry looked up at me and he sobbed. He seized my hands. "Oh, B-B-Bri." Merry choked. I pressed my hands against Merry's cheeks and wiped away his tears with my thumbs. "Shhh, Merry. It's alright. It's alright. Shhh." I soothed. "Oh, Merry. What happened?"
Merry had felt embarrassed in front of me. He ducked his head, grabbed a hold of his bedsheets and hid underneath them. "Merry, it's alright." I said, reassuringly. "You don't have to hide from me." "I don't want you to see me like this!" Merry grumbled. "Merry, it's alright." "No, it's not!" "Won't you please come out?" "No! Go away!"
I felt vulnerable. I slowly got up from his bed and backed up towards Merry's bedroom door. Merry's voice turned quiet. He felt bad for shouting at me. "I'm...I'm so...I'm so sorry, Bri." he whimpered. "P-P-Please come back. D-D-Don't leave me."
I ran back to Merry and sat back down beside him. He lifted his bedsheets off of him and looked me in the eyes. "I'm...I'm a monster." Merry muttered. "I-I-I shouldn't have....shouted at y-y-you." I patted down Merry's light brown curls. "No, no, no. You're not a monster, Merry. Would you like to tell me what's wrong?"
"I had...an awful nightmare." "Oh, no." "You...you were in it...." Merry sniffled. "And you...you....were....killed." "Killed?" "I was...trying to...to save you....it was too late." "Oh, Merry. I'm so sorry. Is there anything I can do to make you feel any better?" Merry's body began to shake. "K-K-Kiss me. Kiss me, Brianna." he trembled. I leaned forward and kissed Merry tenderly on the cheek.
All of a sudden, Merry got up and kissed me on the lips. It was magical. After he let go, we both gazed into each other's eyes. Merry's light blue eyes lit up like two lightbulbs. "I think I might now how to cheer you up, Merry. I'll be right back." "Alright, love." whispered Merry.
I ran back to my room and snatched my old stuffed animal, a stuffed goat named Sweet Pea, off of my dresser. I dashed back to Merry's room and sat down at his bedside. I handed Sweet Pea over to Merry. "Here, Merry. Take this." "What is it?" "Frodo gave him to me. His name is Sweet Pea. Whenever I was upset or scared, I'd always hold him close to me. You can sleep with him for the night." Merry shook his head. "No. I can't accept this." muttered Merry. "Merry, please take him. He'll make you feel better." There was a gleam of innocence in my eyes. "Take him, Merry. Please."
Merry let out a loud sigh. "Alright, Brianna. I'll do it for you." "Is there anything else I can do for you, Merry?" I asked, politely. Merry grinned. "Well, there was one thing...." "What?" Merry leaned forward and unexpectedly kissed me on the cheek. My cheeks turned a bright shade of pink. "I feel much better now. Thank you, Bri." "You're welcome, Merry." I giggled. "Anyway, I should get back to bed. It's way past my bedtime. Goodnight, Merry." "Goodnight, my sweet, sweet angel." Merry grinned.