The Heart Of A Hobbit

"I'm sorry, Merry. But, I'm afraid that I can't let you in."

"Why not?" Asked Merry, with a frown upon his face.

"Brianna is dreadfully sick. I'm only doing this for her own wellbeing and safety and yours, as well. You have to understand Merry." Answered Frodo.

Merry crossed his arms in frustration. "It's not like I'm going to hurt her, Frodo. Why do you have to be so overprotective?" he grumbled.

No matter how many times Merry tried to persuade Frodo to let him enter my room, Frodo wouldn't change his mind. Merry decided to give up. He knew that he couldn't win at this silly little game. He uncrossed his arms and let out a loud, exasperated sigh.

"I know that you do not mean any harm, Merry, but she needs to rest in peace. She does not need to be disturbed. You must understand. Please." said Frodo, in a soft tone of voice.

"I assure you that once she is feeling better that you will get to see her again." he reassured, in a soothing voice. "Come with me, Merry. I'll prepare some piping hot tea for the both of us. How does that sound?"

A fake smile grew on Merry's rosy face. "Fine. Just fine, Frodo." he said, sarcastically.

Frodo could sense that something had been troubling Merry. He placed a gentle hand upon his cousin's shoulder. "Is everything alright, Merry? You do not seem like yourself."

Merry tried his best to hold back all the anger that was raging inside him like a fierce storm. He shrugged his shoulders, nonchalantly, and answered Frodo in a melancholy voice.

"I'm fine." Merry snapped. "Can we just have tea, already?"

Frodo nodded his head. He took a hold of Merry's arm and led him through a long corridor which took them to the kitchen. When they arrived, Merry sat at the far end of the table, keeping to himself, and Frodo was filling a large black teapot up with cold water and a mixture of sweet tea leaves and dried berries. Frodo hung the teapot over the warm hearth and took his place beside Merry, waiting for the tea to boil.

All of a sudden, Merry found himself deep in thought. "So, if Frodo will not let me into Brianna's room, I'm going to have to find another way in myself." he pondered. "But, I have to be discreet about it. Wouldn't want Frodo to catch me, now would I? Hmm. I could tell him that I have to meet up with Pippin. Then, I will quietly head out the front door and sneak around Bag End until I find Brianna's bedroom window. Then, I'll open the window and hop into her room. That sounds like an excellent plan!" A grin grew upon Merry's face. "Oh, she'll be so happy to see me! I just know it!"

Frodo gently tapped Merry on the shoulder. "Merry, the tea is finished. Would you mind fetching me some cups and some sugar and milk? The cups should be easy to find. The sugar and milk is in the..."

Merry curiously peered over Frodo's shoulder and looked over at the kitchen window. The sun was shining brightly through it. "Frodo, I would absolutely love to join you for Afternoon Tea, but I almost forgot that Pippin was expecting me down at the market."

Merry got up from the table and patted Frodo on the shoulder. "I wouldn't want him to worry about me. Poor lad. I should probably take my leave. Have a good afternoon, Frodo."

Frodo chuckled, softly. "You too, Merry. Farewell."

Merry bowed politely and scurried to the front door. As he shut the door behind him, he picked up his feet and darted over to the left side of the hobbit hole like a speeding bullet. Then, he got on his hands and knees and snuck over to my bedroom window, which was left ajar.