Lost Joey

~Sera~
The next day at school, Kendra showed up wearing the girl's uniform. I introduced her to my friends, but she mainly kept an eye on Duke. He couldn't keep his eyes off her either. She had asked me about why Yugi looked different and I told her everything since we studied in Egypt together. She understood and thought I looked better with Yami then Yugi. I told her I thought of Yugi as a brother. She and Duke left to talk...to get to know each other. He told her about Dungeon Dice Monsters and she wanted to learn. Now I, Yugi, Tea, Joey, and Tristen were on the roof. We then told them about Seto's tournament.
"You can't be serious! You mean to tell me that rich punk Kaiba-no offense, Ser-is throwing his own exclusive Duel Monsters tournament?!" Joey asked.
"Yep," Yugi and I agreed.
"And the whole thing kicks off in less than a week," I stated. I knew Joey wasn't going to be happy that he wasn't invited...turns out I was right.
"I can't believe moneybags didn't send an invite to me! I was of the runners up at Duelist Kingdom! Where's the respect?!" Joey asked.
"Here's a newsflash for you, Joey; Kaiba doesn't like you," Tristen stated.
"I'll give him something not to like!" Joey retorted.
"Ya know, this is exactly how he wants you to react," Tristen pointed out. Joey calmed.
"Ya got a good point there, Tristen. Maybe I don't need to enter Kaiba's snooty competition. What about you two? Are you going to enter the tournament?" Joey as me and Yugi.
"I have to. I just found out that entering Kaiba's Battle City Tournament is the only way I can achieve my destiny," Yugi answered.
"Ya destiny? What are you talking about?" Joey asked.
"It's kind of a long story," I told him.
"I've got nowhere to go," Joey countered. Yugi and I shared a look before nodding to each other. We then looked back at Joey.
"Alright, some kind of evil force is coming back from the past and I'm destined to join this tournament and defeat it," Yugi said.
"And I'm entering because I'm destined to help him," I added.
"Yeah, well, I'm destined to help and I've got just the card. I'm talking about Red Eyes Black Dragon!" Joey said pulling his card out.
"So what you're saying is you've changed your mind again, you are going to enter Kaiba's tournament," Tristen stated.
"That's what I'm saying alright. Yugi and Sera have inspired me and with this baby in my deck, I got it made," Joey kissed his Red Eyes card. "Isn't that right, my little Red Eyes? Who's going to help me kick some Kaiba butt? What's that matter? Never seen a guy kiss a card?" Joey asked as we all looked nauseated.
"I love my deck...but I would never do that," I told him.
"Well, anyway, my Red Eyes will put Kaiba to shame," Joey said.
"Didn't you learn the last time you dueled Kaiba?" Tea piped up.
"Tea's right, Joey. Your Red Eyes is a powerful card, but it doesn't guarantee that you'll beat Kaiba," Yugi agreed.
"Yeah, you've got a point," Joey admitted.
"You just need to have a little patience. First you should get used to his more advanced version of the Duel Disk," I stated.
"The old ones were too advanced for me. They cost me the duel," Joey retorted. I then remembered that duel when we saw Seto for the first time on the island.
"You're a much better duelist now than you were then, Joey, but before you jump right into another duel with Kaiba, you should practice with the new Duel Disk," Yugi advised.
"Then what are we waiting for? I gotta try and enter this!" Joey said before trying to run off. I caught him by the collar.
"Here's some advice, genius; wait until school is out so you don't get detention making unable for you to go," I told him. He stopped.
"Got a point. Okay, after school!" He declared before leaving for class. I sighed.
"Lord, help us all," I said as Yugi patted my shoulder. After school I went home and got dressed in a black turtle neck, a black skirt with a blue belt and pouch that held my duel deck, black leggings, black boots, my white jean jacket vest, and my Crystal and locket. I then went to where we were supposed to meet up. None of them were here yet.
"Sera!" I heard. I turned and saw my friends running up. I smiled at them.
"Hey, guys. Ready to get this show on the road?" I asked. They all nodded. Tristen, Joey, and Tea walked inside.
"Sera, can I talk to your for a sec?" Yugi asked me. I nodded.
"Sure," I replied.
"Thanks for spending the day with Yami yesterday. I knew hanging out with you would help," he told me. I smiled.
"It was no problem, Yugi. I mean, he is my boyfriend and I wanted to help him. How is he doing since he found out everything?" I asked him.
"He's okay, still a little overwhelmed," he told me. I nodded understanding.
"I'm not surprised. Finding out he's an ancient Egyptian Pharaoh...and learning about my past with him, I'm not surprised he's overwhelmed," I said.
"Yeah, and you guys saved the world too," Yugi noted.
"Yeah...I just wish I knew what we were up against then. I pray that it's not my brother," I sighed sadly. Yugi grabbed my hand.
"I hope it's not either, neither does Yami," he told me. I nodded. "Hey, Sera, you know Kaiba's rule about the winner of each duel gets to take the losers rarest card?" He asked me.
"Yeah," I answered.
"On one hand, it's an awesome idea, 'cause the winner of the whole tournament gets the ultimate prize. I super deck made up of the rarest cards in Duel Monsters, but on the other hand, I've put my heart into this deck. I don't want to lose any of my cards to a duelist, especially my Dark Magician, but the fate of the whole world depends on you, Yami, and me, so I'll play by whatever rules I have too," he told me. I nodded.
"Yeah, I know what you mean. It would be awesome to get some cool new rare cards in my deck, but there's also the possibility of losing your own rare card. I don't want to lose Rainbow Dragon...if I lost her, in the wrong hands, her powers could be used for destruction. She's very powerful and with dark powers making her the Dark Rainbow Dragon, she would almost be unstoppable," I stated. Yugi nodded agreeing with me.
"Then we'll just have to make sure we don't lose, right?" He asked. I nodded with a smile.
"Right. Together, we can beat anything this evil will throw at us," I told him.
"Hey, are you two coming in or what?" Joey asked impatiently.
"Yeah, yeah, we're coming," I grumbled. Yugi and I went in then and approached the desk.
"May I be of some assistance?" The man asked.
"Hi, we're here to register for the Battle City Tournament and get our Duel Disks," Yugi told him.
"Well then, my friends, you have entered into the right place. You're fortunate as I've only three Duel Disks left on my shelf, but first, I have to make sure you're qualified to enter," the man told us.
"Okay, I'm Yugi Muto," Yugi told him.
"Alright, Yugi Muto," the man said entering the name. "Not bad, you've got five stars. That's the highest rank," he commented.
"Where does this information come from?" Yugi asked. Very good question.
"I'm guessing Kaiba Corp would look into all of the duelists around the city and collect all the data so that they can determine the ranks of everyone," I answered.
"You're quite right, my dear. Here, this shows your skill level and the rarest card you've ever played in a duel," the man said. He then showed the screen which showed Yami and the Dark Magician with five stars underneath. I started to panic. What if people show that my rarest card is Rainbow Dragon? If I lose her, I don't know what I'll do! "To ensure that only the best duelists enter, Mr. Kaiba has gone to great lengths to learn everything about you and your decks," the man added. We all gasped.
"Everything? Knowing everything in our decks gives an unfair disadvantage to Kaiba," Yugi stated.
"That's not cool," Tea agreed. I sighed.
"That's Seto for you," I said rubbing my temples irritated.
"'That's Seto'? Aren't you mad that he knows everything about your deck?" Tristen asked me. I raised an eyebrow.
"You do remember that he made my deck, right?" I asked. He blushed a little embarrassed. "Also, I know his deck better than anyone, even Mokuba. He and I are equally matched," I stated. My friends nodded.
"Well, as promised, since you're qualified to enter, you get this," the man grabbed a Duel Disk. "Kaiba Corps new and improved Duel Disk system," he added handing it to Yugi. It was bigger than Yugi...poor guy.
"Awesome, thank you," Yugi said. Joey pushed Yugi out of the way to get to the counter.
"I wanna register as well, Joey Wheeler's the name," Joey told the man.
"Let me see, Joey Wheeler," the man typed the name in. "Hm, I'm sorry, you've only got one star. You're ranking is much too low to enter," the man said. I winced...not good. Seto, you idiot!
"What?! That can't be! Kaiba fixed those results! I came in third in the Duelist Kingdom!" Joey exclaimed. Tristen grabbed him.
"Hey, Joey! Just calm down!" Tristen told him. Joey didn't listen. "Stop having a cow!"
"It is weird that he doesn't qualify," Tea noted.
"He's gonna burst a blood vessel!" Tristen said.
"Joey! Please, just calm down!" I pleaded.
"I can't believe he did this," Joey said calming down a little.
"There's got to be an explanation..."I trailed off.
"I'm sorry, Joey. It seems my hard drive was malfunctioning and that you actually have four stars. Congratulation, you qualify," the man said. We all looked in shock.
"Yeah! I knew it! Let me those beautiful stars!" Joey said. The screen was turned showing Joey and his Red Eyes Black Dragon with four stars underneath. "Hey, my kisser ain't looking too bad either. I knew the computer was wrong, that's how I was able to relax and keep my cool while he fixed it," Joey said. I raised an eyebrow with and amused look.
"Oh yeah. That was you keeping your cool? I can't wait to see you lose your cool then," I joked.
"Best of luck," the man said handing Joey a Duel Disk.
"Come to papa!" Joey happily took it. I smiled shaking my head at him. I then looked at the man as I stepped up next.
"Hi, my name is Sera Kaiba and I'd like to sign up please," I smiled. The man was surprised.
"K-Kaiba?" He asked. I nodded.
"Yeah, Seto Kaiba's twin sister," I stated. He nodded and typed my name in.
"Ah yes. Sera Kaiba, rarest monster is Dark Magician Girl and you have five stars. You qualify as well," he said getting a Duel Disk for me. I looked at the screen and sighed of relief, it was the Dark Magician Girl. I was then given the Duel Disk. "Good luck, Miss Kaiba," he told me. I smiled at him.
"Thank you, sir," I said putting on the Duel Disk. I then looked at my friends. "Battle City, here we come!" I said making them all cheer. Now we were all walking down a street and it was starting to get dark.
"Guys, I gotta get going. My sister's operation's tomorrow and I told her I'd say that the hospital tonight," Joey said.
"Alright, wish Serenity luck from us, Joey. I'm sure everything's going to be find," Yugi told him.
"Thanks a lot, Yug. Later guys," Joey said.
"Bye, Joey! Good luck!" Tea and I said as he ran off.
"I hope he's alright. Going to that hospital is not an easy thing for him to do," Tristen said making us look at him. "Joey's mother is going to be at the hospital too, guys. She's the one who separated Joey and Serenity when they were kids. He hasn't spoken to her since," he informed. I frowned.
"No way! But that means Joey hasn't seen or spoken to his mother in seven years!" Yugi said surprised.
"That's right, but I'll make sure that the Wheeler family unite once again!" Tristen declared.
"Aren't you getting just a little carried away, Tristen?" Tea asked. I shook my head.
"Not if he's trying to be the hero to impress Joey's sister, Serenity," I smirked. Tristen froze making me laugh. I knew his plan to well. Tea and Tristen then left to go home. Yugi and I were alone now. "So, we're really going to do this, huh?" I asked looking at my Duel Disk. He nodded.
"It certainly seems that way. I wonder why Rainbow Dragon didn't appear on the computer," Yugi said.
"Yeah, but I was relieved she wasn't on here. I guess Seto doesn't want me to lose her either. After all, he did give her to me," I said. He nodded at me.
"Well, I better head home. Grandpa's waiting for me," he said.
"Okay, see you tomorrow, Yugi," I told him. He nodded with a smile.
"See you later!" He said before running off.
'See you tomorrow, my queen,' I heard Yami think to me. I could hear the smirk in his voice. I smirked again.
'See you tomorrow, my Pharaoh,' I told him before going home. I sat on my bed and looked at my Rainbow Dragon. "Rainbow Dragon, looks like I'm going to need your help even more...both me and Yami will need your help. You always come through for me," I said to the card. I heard a knock on the door. "Come in!" I called putting my card in my deck. Seto walked in and I smiled at him. "Well, there's a stranger in my room. You look familiar," I joked. He chuckled before sitting on my bed with me.
"Sorry, I've been busy," he told me. I nodded.
"I noticed...throwing your own tournament...and why are you throwing this tournament?" I asked raising an eyebrow. He was silent for a moment.
"Sorry, Sera...I can't say," he told me. My brows furrowed.
"Can't or won't?" I asked. He didn't say anything. "I see...won't. Fine, I won't ask anymore," I said getting up. I walked to my dresser grabbing some clothes for a shower. I felt kinda hurt...he always told me things. He never kept anything from me and how he is?
"I really am sorry, Sera," he told me. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair.
"Why are you all of a sudden keeping secrets from me? We used to tell each other everything," I said.
"Just a precaution to make sure you stay safe," he told me. A good reason, I guess. "I see you've registered for the tournament," he mused looking at my Duel Disk before looking at my Rainbow Dragon. I didn't have a problem with him looking at it...but a problem with how he was looking at it. It's like he wants to take it. I nodded at him.
"Yup. Yugi, Joey, and I signed up tonight," I stated.
"Wheeler's in my tournament?!" He yelled. I looked at him shocked. He's never yelled like that in front of me before.
"Yeah...the computer said that he had one star, but something was messed up with the hard drive until the man fixed it. Turns out Joey actually has four stars so he's able to compete," I said.
"Wheeler wasn't supposed to be in my tournament!" Seto growled. I narrowed my eyes.
"Well, too bad. He's in so deal with it," I told him.
"He's an amateur, Sera!" He yelled. I glared at him.
"Like I said, that's too bad. You'll just have to suck it up and deal with it. Now, if you're just going to keep dissing my friends then get out of my room. I need to shower anyway," I said walking to the bathroom. On my way I heard my door slam making me jump. I sighed and took my shower. Afterwards I went to bed and slept. I was dueling someone, my Rainbow Dragon and Dark Magician Girl in play. I was about fuse them together until I saw a light coming at me. I woke up with a scream and I heard my phone ring. I answered it not bothering to look at the caller ID. "S-Sera here," I said.
"Sera, it's me Yugi! Sorry to wake up but I need your help!" Yugi said sound panicked.
"Yugi, what's wrong?" I asked getting out of bed and heading to my dresser.
"Joey's gone missing! He didn't turn up at the hospital last night!" He told me.
"What?! But he wouldn't miss Serenity's operation for anything in the world!" I exclaimed.
"I know, that's why I'm worried. We're all out looking for him now," Yugi told me.
"Okay, I'll meet you at the park in fifteen minutes," I told him getting dressed.
"Okay, see you soon," we then hung up. I ran downstairs to the garage and got on my white and light blue motorbike. I put on my helmet and drove over to the park. I had make sure to keep an eye out for Joey along the way, but nothing. I made it there and got off my bike, taking my helmet off.
"Any sign of him?" I asked worried.
"Nothing, this isn't like him. I'm really worried," Yugi said. I nodded knowing how he felt.
"I couldn't see him anywhere and I checked all of his usual spots. There must be someplace I'm not thinking of," Tristen said.
"Why don't you check downtown on your bikes?" Tea asked me and Tristen.
"That's not a bad idea, Tea. Let's split up and check every corner of the city," I said.
"If just isn't like joey to miss his sister's operation. Something must have happened to him," Yugi said.
"Yeah, and he'd never let Serenity down," Tristen agreed.
"He was supposed to have gone to the hospital to see her at about nine o'clock last night, so whatever held him up is going that must've happened right after he left us," I pointed out.
"Time is running out!" Tea said looking at her watch.
"Alright, you guys should check up here, Sera and I will check downtown," Tristen said. We all nodded and split up.
'Be careful, Sera,' Yami thought to me.
'I will be, you and Yugi be careful too,' I told him. Tristen and I then left. He took the East while I took the West. I couldn't find Joey anywhere so I met back with Yugi and Tea at the warehouse. "I didn't see him anywhere," I said worried.
"We've check everywhere too," Tea said also worried. We heard a horn and turned to find Tristen on riding up.
"Hey, look who I found!" Tristen said. I saw Joey and smiled.
"He found Joey!" I said in relief.
"He's alright and he can still make it for the operation," Yugi told us. Tristen then took Joey to the hospital while the rest of us went to the game shop. The sun began to rise when the phone rang. Tea and I looked over as Yugi answered it. "Hello? ...Hey, Joey! Serenity's operation went well!" Yugi smiled making me and Tea cheer.
"She's in the recovery room now," I heard Joey say as I listened next to Yugi.
"Who were those guys last night, Joey?" Yugi asked.
"You mean those three butt ugly chumps who forced me to duel? All I know is I'm gonna find 'em and win back my Red Eyes," Joey said.
"Well, I'll be there to help you, Joey," Yugi said.
"Don't forget about me," I agreed.
"I know you will, guys. Listen, I'll stop by on my way home," Joey told us.
"You got it, bye!" Yugi hung up then. I started thinking about the guys who did that to Joey. Joey's going to need me and Yugi now more than ever. We will help him get the Red Eyes back.