Chapter 24: Worthy✔️

Start from the beginning

She quickly follows. "Can you not fight me like a woman? You know most women would have had to battle it out in the Hatholon if they were fighting over a mate, but you are just too special. Apparently I'm not worthy enough for a proper duel. You were hidden behind my own man like a precious jewel. I'm not sure why he would want a mate that couldn't back him up tooth and claw, but I suppose he really doesn't, seeing as you wear no ring that I can see."

My ears are turning red at her proclamations, my magyk pouring down my arms in a seething rage.

"You want a fight? Then let's fight, Sorsasta! You want to beat me to a pulp? Well good luck!" I say before rearing back my fist and slamming it straight into her nose.

She doesn't make a sound as blood leaks down her nose, trying to overpower me with her larger frame, throwing everything she has into her hits.

For my part, I am swift, my brothers just as large as she and having no chances at hitting me as I block and twist myself away from her. She cries out in rage when I make contact again, her stomach uncovered as she repositions her lower body out of range.

Another hit to her gut has her hunching over, but she is a strong woman and isn't going to give up.

My mate is closing in on us, his soul worried for me, not sure of what is happening as my mind twists around, unable to think as I focus on winning, on showing Sorsastsa and these people that I am worthy.

I slide my leg between hers, knocking her off balance as I twist her to the ground, using my magyk in a way that would never be questioned, only solidifying the strength in my own muscles, not giving her room to move.

She catches me off guard as her fist connects with my eye, surely leaving it bruised, but I don't feel a thing, letting my fist knock her face over and over until she is too beaten and tired to move and Rhovan is behind me yelling and calling for help.

"What's going on!" He screams in my face, noting the way my eye has swelled, feeling the way I hold my magyk from healing me instantly, trying to appear normal.

Ruven and Dagon are helping Sorsasta up, assumedly helping her to the infirmary.

"What happened?" He asks softly, lifting me into his arms, feeling the way I hurt, not just outwardly, but on the inside as well.

I can feel my eyes tearing up and I shove my face into the crook of his neck, hiding away from the stares and whispers, though I should be used to them by now. 

He looks back at Sorsastsa one last time before speaking authoritatively towards a few guards, telling them to question Her once she is up to it, but that neither of us shall be punished, that this was long overdue, making it seem as though it were nothing out of the ordinary, and maybe it's not.

Once we are safe inside the cabin, he helps me up the stairs, sitting me on the bed and grabbing me a cup of my favored color of wine.

He tries to steady his breathing, he's calming himself internally before he says something that he doesn't mean, sipping a cup of something much stronger than wine, loosening his nerves before finally kneeling before me, taking my face in his hand, letting his own magyk assist in healing my swollen eye, the sensation of warmth welcome.

"Gilryn, what's happened?" He implores carefully, not wanting to upset me any more than I already am.

And I can feel the tears falling from my eyes, immense pain ripping into my chest as I kneel down in front of the man that I have come to care for, to maybe even love.