Chapter 21: Trying✔️

It is hardly daylight out the next morning when I awaken and head down the stairs with silent feet, opening my new armoire with ease and pulling out a lush blue garment. It's fabric is light, most likely cotton, and the over apron is a rich brown, almost the color of the leather that I see many of the warriors wear.

To my own people, I may very well look like a lowly born elven girl from the tavern side of town, but to me, in this moment, I am content. Rhovan had this made especially for me. I know because it is not too long or short. I know because he had made sure that I would be comfortable in this and I know because the shoes that I am now wrapping around my calves are the perfect fit.

"Even common clothes don't seem to damper ya're beauty." I have come to realize how nice my tethered mate is with words when he has the mind to do it. I can see why the ladies are always eyeing him. He has a charm about him that is undeniable.

"Stop trying to flatter me. It'll get you everywhere." I say with a smile as I tilt my head back from my bent over position, reaching for the second shoe.

A slap to my arse leaves a lovely little sting that seems to warm me up, though the weather is quite staunching as it is and I squeal softly at his playfulness.

"Sorry. Couldn't help it. Ya do have a lovely backside ya know." He says with a twist of his mouth, bending down to place my foot upon his knee, carefully wrapping my foot with the leather straps and tying them off.

I can feel the way his thoughts are turning. I get the slight feeling that he would quite love to tie the rest of me up too and I promptly pull my foot from his grasp before he starts something that I'm not sure I would want to continue as of yet, no matter what a wonderful lover he is. I want to learn to know him, to accustom myself with him like we had planned before that... melodious night.

He laughs at my discomfort, standing to tower over me, manhandling me into turning around, his long fingers deftly braiding my hair, securing it in all manor of braids that hang around me. He pulls a feather from his own braids and wraps it into the braid closest to my face, letting the braid fall softly against my shoulder, admiring his work.

"I was wrong. They will never believe ya to be apart of this community with the stunning looks you have." He is smiling warmly as he says this, a hint of playfulness. No intent to hurt me at his proclamation.

"Then maybe you should not have dressed me so nicely, Rhovan." I say with a playful air of my own.

"Imp, ya could be wearing a sack and still outshine those around ya." I take his compliments with a smile. My second to oldest brother, Rÿnion, is a lot like Rhovan. They are both good with words, always knowing how to compliment a lady, how to make them feel special. He would always get into trouble with mother for sleeping with the 'help' as she called them, but my siblings and I had always promised that once we were the rulers of our lands, we would never treat those below us with anything less than respect for the work they put forward.

I can only hope that those dreams will still come to pass for my family. The only thing I do know is that My brothers must be doing everything in their power to keep our family together. There is not much a King can do to a man based on their children's own decisions, their own sins. I am most definitely sure that King Othorion would not want to lose the support of the Ellavorn people, the second largest nation besides his own in Voran. I can rest easy knowing that politics will keep my family safe as best as the system will allow.

My hand makes its way into Rhovans, squeezing tightly, grasping a hold onto the one thing I still have within reach, the one person that I can count on indefinitely, never having to second guess with him because I know his thoughts, his feelings, his mind and soul, and I know he will be here for me no matter what because he took an oath with me and I to him and he respects his duty above all else. This I do know of him and I can take comfort that he is a respectable mate to me, someone that I can only hope to build a future with.