Chapter nine

Evan and Heidi locked eyes.

    Evan felt himself shaking when Heidi walked down the porch steps.

    He looked over at Connor, who was staring at Evan.

    "W-what do I do?!" Evan asked. "What do I tell her? I've never skipped school before, she's pissed!"

    "Evan, calm down," Connor hushed. "Breathe, tell the truth. She'll understand."

    Heidi knocked on the window. "Get out of the car, Evan," Heidi demanded.

    Evan gulped, turning his right arm so the rash couldn't be seen. He stepped out.

    "Care to explain why I got a call from the school saying you weren't in your last two classes?"

    Evan opened his mouth, trying to find words. His throat closed up. He looked over at Connor, who had gotten out of the car and was standing next to Evan.

    "He had a panic attack," Connor explained. "It was really bad. I've seen him have panic attacks before and this one was just awful, he was so out of it. Said he was dissociating. So I decided to take him out of school since he was clearly not alright."

"S-so we we-went to his h-house," Evan continued. "I-I was go-gonna tell you b-but I left my ph-phone in my backpack w-which was in his car."

Heidi's face softened. "Evan, I thought you said you didn't need a mental health day."

"I-I thought I d-didn't. B-but I forgot a-about a p-presentation in f-fifth hour. I-I panicked and went into th-the hall and that's w-when Con-Connor found me."

Heidi turned to Connor. "Thank you for taking care of him," she said. "But what were you doing out of–never mind, I'm not your mom, it's none of my business. You better get going, I'm sure your parents are worried."

Connor resisted the urge to roll his eyes and nodded. "See you Evan."

As Connor rolled out of the driveway, Evan scurried inside before Heidi could ask anymore questions.

"So you were at Connor's?" Heidi asked, shutting the door behind her.

"Y-yeah," Evan agreed.

"Then how'd you get that rash?"

Evan froze. "W-what rash?"

"The one on your neck," Heidi said. "It's on your arm too."

"W-well we were o-outside," Evan explained, "a-and I touched a Dogwood tree that was in their y-yard."

Heidi frowned. "Evan," she said. God Evan hates that tone. "If you just touched a Dogwood tree, it wouldn't be all over your arm. Where were you?"

Evan didn't answer.

"And, this is funny, I pass by their house when I go to work," Heidi continued. "How come I didn't see a single Dogwood tree in their yard? Or a car for that matter when I got home?"

"H-how do you k-know it's their house?" Evan asked.

"I see Connor and Zoe was it? I see them getting into a car every morning for school." Heidi stepped in front of her son. "Be honest Evan. Where were you?"

Evan started shaking again. He sat down at the table, putting his head in his arms, his shoulder shaking from sobs.

Heidi sat next to him. "I'm not mad honey," she soothed, "I just need to know."

Once Evan had calmed down enough–that had taken ten minutes–he lifted his head. His face was stained and wet with tears, his eyes puffy, and his nose was runny.

"W-we went t-to this o-orchard," Evan said. "I-I fell asleep under a-a Dogwood tree, s-so I w-wasn't lying about th-that."

Heidi rubbed her hand up and down Evan's back.

"S-so you're n-not mad?"

Heidi sighed. "I'm not mad about the school thing. But I am mad that you lied to me and that you trespassed."

Evan put his head back down.

"One week."

Evan lifted his head up. "What?"

"You're grounded for one week," Heidi repeated.

Evan's heart sank as he nodded. He deserved it.

"So no one can come over, unless it's strictly for school." Heidi stood up and kissed the top of Evan's head. "I have to go back for my next shift, alright? There's ramen noodles if you're hungry."

ConArtist: can you come over on Saturday? My parents are gonna be gone and Zoe and I have been fighting and I don't feel like being alone with her

ForestExpert: can't

ForestExpert: I'm grounded for a week. My mom found out I lied about where I was.

ConArtist: ah shit

ForestExpert: it's not that long.

ForestExpert: and it's not like I do anything anyways.

    Evan sighed, falling onto his bed, face landing on his pillow.

    He was home alone with nothing to do. His homework was done, his room was clean, he was clean, he had eaten, and he didn't want to bother Jared or Connor.

He eyed the red folder on his desk and remembered that he has yet to write a letter.

Sighing, he reached for his backpack. He extended his arm as far as it would go but failed to grab it. He could just stand up, but he was too tired for that.

He crawled to the very edge of the bed, holding onto the mattress for dear life. His fingers grazed the backpack strap. He leaned over more. He was now using his good arm to support him on the floor and his feet were trying to keep him in place.

Evan cheered when he grabbed the backpack. That cheer was shortly lived.

There was no way he could get back on the bed without falling and standing up.

He groaned, letting his arm and legs give out. He stood up and smoothed down his shirt.

So much for being lazy.

He sat on his bed, opening his backpack and taking out his computer. Getting a new document up, he started typing.

Dear Evan Hansen,

Today has been a good day and here's why. You hung out with your new friend. You got to learn more about him. Although you got a rash in the process.

Your mom wasn't happy and now you're grounded for a week which is fine because you never leave the house. But maybe now you have a friend, that will change.

Sincerely your best and dearest friend, Me.