Chapter seven

ForestExpert: I'm sorry Connor.

ForestExpert: I didn't mean to upset you.

ForestExpert: you were right, I should've minded my own business.

ForestExpert: please answer.

ForestExpert: or not, you can ignore me if you want.

It's been two days and Connor hasn't responded to any of his texts.

    Evan's guilt and anxiety has been piling up, ready to burst at any moment.

    What if Connor was ignoring because of what he said? Was he ignoring him because he didn't want to be friends anymore?

    Evan was knocked out of his thoughts when his mom knocked on the door.

    "Evan?" Heidi called, opening the door and stepping into his room. "If you don't get going now, you'll be late. Do you need a ride?" She looked at Evan, who was sitting on his bed, hunched over with his face in his hands. "What's wrong? Are you sick, do you need a mental health day?"

    "No," Evan said quietly. "I'm just worried about Connor. He hasn't responded to any of my texts, he probably hasn't even read them."

    "Why wouldn't he be talking to you?" Heidi asked, sitting next to Evan.

    "I-I don't know," he lied. "His father sounded pretty mad from how loud Connor was yelling on Saturday. Maybe he took his phone?" He shook his head. "Maybe I'm just clingy and he's ignoring me."

    "I'm sure he's not ignoring you." Heidi put a hand on Evan's knee. "He probably is just overwhelmed from the phone calls. I'm sure he's fine. Now come on, you don't want to be late for school."

As Evan walked through the halls to his first hour, he realized he hasn't spotted Connor at all. Normally he's hanging out between the lockers while most students rushed to class. Is he sick? Did he skip? Is he purposefully avoiding the paths Evan usually takes?

Stop it. This is why he's not answering his phone. You aren't friends, he said so himself. You probably bothered him with those texts and now he's even more mad at you.

Evan sighed, glancing over at Connor's locker one more time before heading to class.

Fifth hour rolled around quicker than he expected. He was doodling in his notebook when Alana, one of the people in his group, appeared in front of him.

"Are you prepared for the presentations?" she asked, taking her seat across from him. The desks in the classroom were aligned so there were four desks in each group.

Evan paled, his blood running cold. He had completely forgotten about the presentations. He felt himself start to shake as he said, "O-of course, wh-why wouldn't I-I be?"

Alana stared at him, a frown forming on her face. "Are you alright?" she asked, leaning forward to feel his forehead. "You don't feel warm, but you look pale. Maybe you should go to the nurse."

Evan nodded weakly and stood up. He made eye contact with his teacher. She nodded and he bolted out of the classroom. During the open house for the new year, Heidi told all of his teachers about his anxiety. Most of them were understanding and let him leave class if he needed to. He was glad for this, although he didn't like how openly she told them.

As Evan walked through the halls, his vision blurred. He attempted to wipe the tears away, but his face was dry.

God, he thought. He hates this more than crying. He wished he was crying.

Nothing looked real, nothing felt real. Like he was in a dream. He leaned against a wall, closing his eyes in hopes that it would help.

He opened his eyes. His vision was even more cloudy. He touched his cast. Usually that would help ground him, but when his fingers touched it, he could barely feel it. He half expected his hand to go through it, as if it wasn't real.

He must have looked like an idiot, just standing in an empty hallway, touching the walls and his clothes like his life depended on it.

"Hansen?"

A voice. Someone was there. Evan looked around frantically, trying to find whoever called him. A blurry figure approached him. Who was it?

Evan squinted. Like that would help.

The figure came closer and Evan recognized the long hair.

"C-Connor?" he asked, stepping foreword.

"What the hell?" Connor asked. "You look like shit."

"I-I know. . ." His vision was slowly becoming clearer. He needed to keep talking to Connor. "W-what are you d-doing out here?"

"I was at. . ." Connor's eyes darted around, landing on the floor. "A doctor's appointment. You never answered my question. What the hell?"

"I-I had a-a panic attack," Evan explained.

"Jesus," Connor muttered. "Again?"

Evan ignored his remark. "A-Alana r-reminded me abo-about a presentation w-we had to do. And, and I completely, I didn't prepared. I forgot. A-and I felt myself shaking so I left."

"Alright," Connor said. "Come on." He grabbed Evan's good arm, pulling him along as they walked down the hallway, passing many lockers.

Evan just saw blurs that wouldn't take shape. He tried focusing on his shoes and the floor, but the colors melted together.

Evan's fingers tightened around Connor's sleeve, trying to force feeling into his hand. His other hand brushed against the walls.

He didn't question what they were doing, although he was confused as to why Connor had his backpack. When did they stop at Connor's locker?

"What's your locker combination?" Connor asked when they approached Evan's locker.

"15-31-08," Evan dumbly answered. Connor successfully opened the locker on the second try. He shoved Evan's backpack into his arms.

"W-wait," Evan exclaimed, forcing his arm back. "I-I dropped my stuff i-in the hallway."

Connor sighed as Evan scrambled over to the hallway.

Evan was glad his vision was almost back to normal, otherwise he wouldn't know which hallway was which and he would've gotten lost.

He found his stuff scattered on the ground, notebooks and textbooks open and pages torn. He shoved them into his backpack and ran back over to Connor.

Connor once again grabbed Evan by the arm, walking again, almost at a jogging pace.

He didn't ask questions, just let Connor lead him wherever.

He was confused as to why they were leaving the school. "Wh-where are we g-going?"

"You're obviously in no condition to be at school," Connor explained. "And I sure as hell don't want to be in a ten foot radius of this damn building."

"W-we're ditching?" Evan asked, his voice cracking. Connor just nodded.

Connor lead Evan over to a black SUV. Unlocking it, Connor opened the door and took his and Evan's backpack and threw them in the back.

Connor climbed into the driver's side. He looked at Evan, who was standing there, fiddling with his shirt.

"Get in," Connor said, voice laced with annoyance.

Evan quickly walked to the other side and got in.

Connor started the car, pulling out of the parking lot.

"W-where are we going," Evan asked.

"You like trees right?"