Chapter four

Unknown number: hey it's Connor

    Evan held the phone in his hand. The text had been sent six hours ago. Oh geez what if Connor thought he was ignoring him? What if he made him think they weren't friends.

ForestExpert: oh hi! It's Evan.

ForestExpert: oh wait you already know that.

ForestExpert: this is awkward I'm sorry.

    Evan quickly put Connor's number into his contacts, changing the contact name to ConArtist. He enjoyed giving what few friends he had nicknames.

He put his phone down after looking at the time. He had his school things together and was waiting for Jared to pick him up.

If Jared didn't get here in the next five minutes, they would most likely be late. And if he was late, he would get in trouble and then his Mom would get a phone call. Then she would be disappointed in him because he's never late.

Evan put his backpack over his good shoulder and made his way downstairs.

    There was a loud honk outside. Evan rolled his eyes and quickly got his shoes on. He made sure to lock the front door before almost running to Jared's car.

    "Try to not d-drive so recklessly," Evan said. "I want to live."

    Jared rolled his eyes. "It's either that or we're late," he replied. "However, being late once in a while isn't bad."

    "B-but I've never been late." Evan buckled his seatbelt as Jared rolled out of the driveway. "And it's not a good thing to start because it could get on your school record and that could limit your chances on colleges and that-"

    "Dude chill out," Jared said. "Being late one day isn't going to do anything."

    That still didn't calm his nerves. He gripped the door handle as Jared made a sharp turn. His head almost hit the window.

Evan kept telling Jared to slow down so they didn't die. Jared just rolled his eyes, insisting that wouldn't happen.

They got at the school with five minutes to get to class. Evan basically ran into the building, ignoring the looks the students gave him. He got to his locker and quickly opened it. It took him three tries to open it because he kept missing the second number.

He shoved his backpack into the locker, only taking out what notebooks and textbooks he needed for his first three classes.

    He was about to head to class when he saw a familiar black hoodie. "Connor!" he called out.

    Connor snapped his head up, trying to find the source of the voice. "What Hansen?" he asked when Evan caught up to him.

    "I-I was gonna ask you earlier," Evan started, "but I-I didn't have time. I uh I told my mom about you and now she wants you to come over for dinner this Saturday because she thinks we're soulmates even though I told her we weren't but you know." Connor was just staring at him. "Y-you don't have to come if you don't want to, it's just that I've never had anyone else over besides Jared and my mom is really happy and now you probably think I'm a loser who only talks to the family friend and-"

    "Whoa Hansen," Connor cut in. "Fucking breathe, your face is red."

    Evan clutched his books closer to himself. "S-sorry," he whispered. "S-so do you want to come over?"

    Connor leaned against his locker, thinking. Evan started fidgeting with his cast, picking at it slightly. What if Connor didn't want to go? What if he thought Evan was extremely clingy? What if he was bothering him?