chapter nine

My phone rang, the sound of Rebel Yell breaking the silence in my bedroom. It had been weeks since I heard that particular song and the realization broke me from my tired stupor.

I sat up in bed and grabbed my phone. The caller ID told me that this wasn't just some mistake. I read Andy's name on the screen over and over again, like a victorious chant. With only slight hesitancy and a lot of unbridled excitement, I answered the call.

"Hello," I spoke into the phone quietly.

Through the speaker, I heard a cacophony of noise. There was music and talking and so much noise.

Andy's voice broke through and I instantly froze. "Kourt, baby, you answered," he stated in a slurred tone. His words were slow and jumbled over one another. "I need you to pick me up."

"What?" I questioned, immediately lost. I glanced at the clock, which read 3:21 am.

"I'm at this bar and I'm out of cash and I need you."

"I have to be awake for school in like three hours. Call your girlfriend," I snapped.

"She's gonna be mad. She said if I show up drunk one more time, she'll... I don't remember. Please, Kourt, come get me. There's a guy with a mullet staring at me. I'm scared," he whined in the most adorable voice.

"Okay, where are you?"

"At this bar," he said, sounding distracted.

"What bar?"

"Oak or something. I don't remember. I think I'm on Sunset maybe."

"I'll be there soon," I said, hanging up.

I pulled myself out of bed and ran a hand through my tangled hair. I yearned to go back to bed, but the idea of seeing Andy propelled me forward. I quickly changed out of my pajamas and into a pair of skinny jeans and a tank top. I didn't have enough time or alertness to look more than decent. I played with my hair until it fell in presentable waves. Running my foundation brush across my skin, I covered any imperfections.

Andy was probably drunk out of his mind and would be paying no attention to how I looked, but I still wanted to look good for him. Maybe seeing me tonight could reawaken the feelings he'd sheltered away the past few weeks. 

Once I had all my stuff and looked presentable, I slowly opened my bedroom door and peered out into the dark hallway. I'd never really snuck out before. I hadn't had the need to. My mom was cool with letting me go out as long as I returned home before the following morning. I wasn't much of a partier in the first place, so she never had a lot to worry about. However, I knew she would be suspicious that I was going somewhere at three in the morning, and telling her the truth probably wasn't a great idea.

So, for that reason, I tip toed down the hallway, my bare feet making no noise against the carpet. I held my boots in my hand to slip on when I got downstairs. I walked in slow motion until I was at the bottom of the stairs. I could still hear my mom's steady breathing and knew I'd managed to not wake her. Now, I just had to hope she didn't come check on me and notice my empty bed.

At the door, I slipped on my shoes and carefully opened the door. The lock slid, making a click sound that reverberated throughout the house. I held my breath, but when nothing happened, I continued. The air outside was crisp and cool, making me glad I thought to throw a jacket on over my flimsy tank top. 

I manually unlocked my car and slid inside, the engine purring to life as I twisted the key in the ignition. It was probably the same volume as always, but in the midst of my stealthy escape, it sounded deafening. I quickly backed out of the driveway and down the street. At a stoplight, I googled "oak bar sunset." After reading through a few unrelated results, I finally found a place called 34 Oaks and hoped it was right.