[11]: Found a Library!

Start from the beginning

Better safe and uncomfortable than comfy and caught.

* * *

The next day, 8:45 AM

Close call! I was on my way to the bathroom, because my bladder couldn't make it to opening time to get relieved, when this lady came into the teen section with a cart of books. I held really, really still, and she was too busy rolling the cart around, putting books on the shelves, that she didn't notice me. The minute she went around a stack, I beat it to the bathroom.

So now I'm in a stall, killing time before the library opens. I hope there's some librarian's lavatory that they use instead of this one. One look at my shoes under the divider and they'll know I don't work here. Then they'll bust me and find a yogurt cup and figure out that I just had their lunch for breakfast.

* * *

10:45 AM

Back in my teen-section chair, comfy and fairly safe. I did get "The Look" from a librarian. At least I think she's a librarian. She asked me, "Weren't you here yesterday?"

"Yes, ma'am," I said with a smile. "I love the library." Then I added, "My mom's a lawyer, and I beg her to take me here whenever she has to do research. I love books, and getting to spend whole days at the library is the best!"

So okay, I laid it on pretty thick. But she smiled and nodded, and I think the bit about my mom being a lawyer was a stroke of genius, don't you? Who wants to mess with a girl whose mother is a lawyer?

* * *

3:15 PM

The story about escaping Alcatraz was pretty good. I like escaping books. I can relate.

I found other magazines about Jennifer Lawrence. She's an award-winning actress. How cool is that? You know what's kind of funny? We kind of look like we could be related. Same blue eyes, blonde hair. She's a lot taller than me.

I've gotten "The Look" about ten times in the past hour, and I know the clock is ticking. I tried to wash up in the bathroom, but it's not even close to the same thing as a shower. No matter how polite I act, my clothes are filthy and I know I look awful.

I guess it's time for me to find that church.

I wish I could get a library card. I'd really like to finish my books.

I guess I'll have to steal it.

* * *

8:00 PM

When I realized my little vacation at the library was coming to an end, I started getting really stressed out. I didn't want to go back outside! I started thinking about how long it takes to go anywhere in the city. How depressed and disoriented and hungry I've been living here. Then I got the brilliant idea that the library might have maps, and it does! Tons of them!

And guess what?

I'm only about 15 miles from the ocean! I could walk that in a day! (Or two.) And I could go south or west. The coastline curves around, so either way I'll wind up at the Pacific Ocean!

I was so excited to know my way out of this cement trap that I almost just started walking. But I was also hungry and needed a shower and clean clothes. So first I looked up the address of The People's Church in the phone book.

No wonder I couldn't find it! It doesn't look anything like a church. No pointy roof or stained-glass windows. No crosses or statues of Jesus or Mary or angels. Just a little sign posted on a basement door that says The People's Church.