Chapter 41: Grieving & Gotham

Start from the beginning

Dick put his arm around Alfred.

"What about a Lazarus pit? That brought me and Damian back!",Jason asked. Bruce looked at Jason. "There's none left. The one we used to save Damian was destroyed.",Bruce announced.

There were no Lazarus pits.

Jason and dick stayed in the cave with Damian. The others headed upstairs
The two stayed by his bedside. Dick held Damian's hand. "I'm so sorry buddy",dick said sadly. Damian lay there unconscious with his side bandaged up. Jason and dick did not want to see Stephanie's face when they told her.

Stephanie was staring into the huge blazing fire in the main living room. Sam had fallen asleep on the couch and Stephanie had put a blanket over him. Alfred, Tim and Bruce came in slowly.

"Shhh",she put her index finger to her lips and pointed at Sam. They all looked at Sam. Sam was asleep on the couch holding his batman plushie tightly. "I'll take him to bed",Bruce decided. He gently picked up the 4 year old. This wasn't his style.

Bruce and Sam left the room leaving only Alfred and Tim. There was no way in hell Alfred was going to be able to break it to Stephanie. "Steph I need to tell you something",Tim said, his voice shook.

"How's Elena?",Stephanie said eagerly. "About that..",Tim sighed. "Oh god..is she okay? How bad is she? ",Stephanie asked worriedly. "Stephanie..She died",Tim said and he took Stephanie's hand.

Stephanie shook her head and snapped her hand from Tim. "You're lying", she stated. "Steph I'm-",Tim knew this was not going to end well. "You're lying! No you're lying!",she yelled. "I'm afraid he's not ms. Stephanie.",Alfred hated this.  She looked at Tim and she completely broke down. "No no no!",she cried.

"I'm so sorry Stephanie",Tim said sadly. Stephanie came off her wheelchair and to Tim's arms. She cried loudly. "This wasn't meant to happen",she said crying into Tim's shoulder. Alfred sat down on the couch and closed his eyes he was to old for this.

Stephanie's cry could be heard throughout the manor. Bruce could hear it as he lay Sam down in his bed. He tucked Sam in. Sam slightly shivered from the cold of the bed but then calmed himself. Bruce didn't know what was going to happen tomorrow morning after the full story broke. But he knew one thing.

Sam would be taken away be social services by the afternoon. Bruce wasn't going to let that happen. Bruce didn't even hesitate on what he was thanking. He slowly closed the door of the room and left the light on for Sam.

"Alfred..",Bruce came into the living room. Alfred cleared his throat and and got off the couch and stood up straight. "Yes master Bruce?",he asked. "Get me those foster papers and if the adoption papers are available get them too.",Bruce announced.

"Master Bruce are you-",Alfred was taken back by this. "Yes.",Bruce finished the sentence for him.

Tim had left with Stephanie. Bruce didn't know where he had taken her but he could still hear her.

The only person who slept that night was Sam.

The next morning Bruce watched Vicky vale inform the world of last nights disasters and how the joker was responsible.

"It is known that two people have died in the incident, many are badly injured. The two dead have been named as Lola franklin and Elena smith. Ms. Franklin is said to have been behind this and had held Elena smith hostage as seen in the footage that was broadcasted to every corner of Gotham. New information has now confirmed that there was two bombs in last night attack. Elena smith was able to disarm the one remotely while hostage that was planted under the west side of Gotham. But was unable to disarm the one that is believed to be located beside her therefore leaving no evidence of her. But anonymous witnesses have confirmed she was there.