Chapter 41: Grieving & Gotham

I read the comments of the last chapter and my god did I smiled afterwards. You guys are so damn sweet! Low-key happy I was able to make people cry, that means I'm doing something right lol.

The sound of sirens could be heard and people yelling. There was a smell of smoke and burning materials. "Bats get up",Bruce heard a voice. "Come on man wake up",someone nudged him. Bruce slowly opened his eyes.
Tim and Jason were looking down at him. They seemed to in a bit of a frenzy.

Bruce groaned. "You okay?",Tim asked. Bruce got up and looked in front of him. He rubbed his head and then realised what was going on. "No...",he said looking at a raging fire that was once concert hall. The firefighters were trying to put out the blaze.

"It was like this when we got here",Jason sighed sadly. "No survivors",Tim added quietly.
Bruce looked at him. "None at all?",Bruce didn't want to believe it.

Tim shook his head. "Poor kid",red hood scratched the back of his head. Tim looked away and his face crunched up as if was about to cry and he walked away from Jason and Bruce.

Bruce and Jason looked at Tim and then at each other. "Lets go home",bruce announced. They helped Bruce to get up on his feet.

The ride home was awful. The quietness was the worst part. Jason rode with Bruce and Tim since he had sacrificed his bike earlier that evening.

Finally Bruce broke the silence, "how am I meant to break this to them?",Bruce asked. "You'd just better hope Damian is still alive to break it to him",Jason added. Tim said nothing.

They drove into the cave. Nightwing was walking in circles nervously. Alfred was still in surgery with Damian and dick was waiting for Alfred to come out.

Cassandra was sitting quietly. The boys got out of the bat mobile. "Bruce! You're back!",dick came over to him. The three looked at each other. He didn't know. "Where's Elena? Is she okay?",dick asked.

Bruce just shook his head and Tim and Jason just looked at each other. Dick picked up on what they were saying. "Christ..",dick said as his eyes widened and he walked away from them. He rubbed his hand through his hair.

Cassandra had seen this, she jumped down from where she was sitting. "Elena?!",she begged. "She's gone Cass",Bruce said sadly. He watched Cassandra's face change. "I..no..I meant to watch..",she couldn't get out any proper words. "Cassandra..",Bruce tried to get close to her. "She dead...I watch her...I failed you..failed Elena",she started crying. "You didn't fail anyone",Bruce felt horrible.

Cassandra backed away. "I failed Damian..he loved her..he told me himself..he don't love a lot...I bring dishonour to you",she said crying. "You did no such thing",Bruce exclaimed.

Before he could get to her she ran off. "I leave now",she said and she disappeared.

Bruce tried to go after her but Jason stopped him. "She needs time Bruce.",he said.

Soon Alfred came out of the med bay. Bruce quickly walked up to him. "How's Damian?",Bruce said worriedly. "Stable, he's very lucky.",Alfred answered quietly. Bruce was relieved to hear that. "Where's ms. Elena? I'm sure she needs medical attention?",Alfred said looking around.

"Alfred..",Bruce sighed. Alfred looked at him. "She didn't make it..",Bruce hated saying it. Alfred's face dropped and Alfred just stared at Bruce.

"What am I meant to tell young Sam?",he said weakly. Bruce had forgotten all about Sam. Alfred held his head up high he was trying not to cry. "The poor girl",he said and he covered his eyes with his hand.