Chapter 38| Pencils are sharp

When Elena got home, she was tired. Sam was doing his homework in the sitting room. The house was quiet. "Hey kiddo",Elena said and she sat down beside him. "Hey Elena",Sam said looking at his worksheet. "How was school?",Elena sat back on the sofa. "It was okay",he sighed. Elena saw Sam wasn't his lively self. "Sam? What's up?",Elena scuffled his blonde Curley hair. "Nothing.",he said not looking at her. "Sam..come on what's wrong ?",Elena picked him up and put him on her lap. "You can tell me..",elena smiled.

Elena's father came out of his office and he was in the hallway and he was about to go into the sitting room when he heard Elena's voice.

He looked around the corner and saw Sam sitting on Elena's lap. "You promise you won't tell anyone?",Sam looked up at her. "Cross my heart, hope to die",Elena crossed her heart. Sam laughed "stick a needle in my eye",they both said at the same time and laughed.

Elena's dad watched and smirked to himself. "Elena can I ask you something ?",Sam fiddled with his pencil. "Go ahead",she smiled.

"Is dad gonna die?",Sam asked beginning to cry.

Elena's dad felt sick to his stomach. Sam wasn't meant to know anything about that.

Elena hesitated. She wasn't expecting him to say that. "S-Sam",she was stuttered. "I'm right aren't I?",he said crying. "Where did you hear that?!?",she hugged him tightly. "I heard mom and dad last night talking and dad said he was dying! And mom was crying! She never cries! And-that's why dad is in a wheelchair isn't it?",he cried loudly. "Shh Sam it's okay", Elena said quietly.

She was surprised the 4 year old was able to pick up on this. "He's dying isn't he?", Sam said quietly. Elena wrapped her arms around him.

"Sam..but you knew he was sick for along time now..",she tried to comfort him. Elena's father sat in the darkness of the hallway.

"I don't want him to die",he cried. "Neither do I kiddo",her voice weakened. "Neither do I",she said again. "But you'll have me and mom okay?",she said and her grip on Sam became tighter. "Don't leave me too okay",he hugged her tightly. "Not in a million years Sam",she promised.

Elena's dad just went back to his office. He couldn't handle his kids crying especially over him.

Sam and Elena hugged for little longer and the Elena told him not to look so sad when mom and dad see him.

He nodded and smiled. "Now finish your homework",Elena smirked as she walked up to her room. Elena closed the door behind her and slid down the door and put her head in her knees.

Orphan poked her head in the window as she took a bite out of her the apple she was eating.

Orphan had just setup for the night and this time she had brought a stash of food to last her the night.

She watched as Elena got up and and grabbed her folder on her bed and threw it at her study desk furiously and all the piano sheets floated out.

One floated out the slightly opened window. "Oh-uh",orphan followed the floating sheet to the ground before it hit the wet soil and grabbed it.

She picked it up and went back up to her branch that she had been sitting on. She left it on Elena's windowsill.

Elena played the piano for a little while. Cassandra loved when she did this. Cassandra loved classical music. Cassandra daze was interrupted by some off key notes. Elena had slammed down on random keys of the piano furiously. Cassandra was surprised, Elena was more stressed then usual, Cassandra knew by her body language. She was tense.

Suddenly there was a knock on Elena's bedroom door. Elena froze and so did Cassandra, Cassandra retreated into the shadows of the tree. Elena straighten herself up and opened the door.