Chapter 15: Memory of Martha

There was 2 weeks left to the finals and Damian insisted on Elena coming over to the manor since the only one there was going to be Alfred. Bruce hadn't left the cave in the past 2 days because the joker has been seriously acting up lately and Bruce still hadn't couldn't figure out the chemical supplier. Dick was visiting starfire as she is travelling at the moment. Jason was somewhere Damian really didn't keep track of his whereabouts. Tim was working with the teen titans and Stephanie and Barbara were in burnside and they had their own issues.

 Tim was working with the teen titans and Stephanie and Barbara were in burnside and they had their own issues

Elena arrived soon after 2 in the afternoon. Damian admired her style of clothing it wasn't tacky like Lola. Elena was amazed by the manor it's was bigger then she had expected. Alfred had been warned by Damian to stay away from them. But Alfred was trying to watch from a distance. Elena felt slightly intimidated. She was in Bruce Wayne the billionaires house the wealthiest man in Gotham. Damian gave her a quick tour of the downstairs area she was amazed and Damian enjoyed her reactions. Elena was from an okay family they weren't stuck for money it was funny because Elena can see the light of the manor from her bedroom window so it was awesome to actually be in the manor.
Damian had invited her over for a reason. Bruce's mother Martha was a wonderful piano player and owned a handmade Japanese grand piano worth more than $50,000 and he wanted her to play it. This piano hasn't been played since Martha died so Damian was excited to hear it being played. Elena and Damian walked into the room with the piano in it. Damian walked over to the piano that had a white over it "Elena I'm afraid this is the only piano we have I hope this will do",said with a smirk on his face and Damian ripped off the white sheet revealing the piano. Elena gasped at the sight of it.Elena let out a fangirl screech she knew exactly what kind of piano it was. Damian swore he could see stars in her eyes. She ran over to it and sat down." I thought these weren't made anymore these haven't been made in about 30 years and are worth more then $50.000",she said looking at the keys." "It was my grandmothers she had a passion for the piano",he said smiling. It took Elena about 2 seconds of a delay until she remembered who his grandmother was."Martha Wayne",she said quietly as she looked up at him."nobody has played this thing since not even my father",Damian said looking at the piano. Elena suddenly became nervous. there was an awkward silence."well I'm gona grab my violin upstairs I'll be back in one second feel free to get setup and get started",Damian said breaking the awkward silence. Elena was alone. She looked at the music script already on the piano it was a little torn up but Elena looked at the notes on the page. Why not play it? It will be a good warm up exercise. she thought. Bruce had come up from the cave only because Alfred had made him come out and take a break as Bruce has a habit of cutting off from the world when he gets on a case. Elena not knowing Bruce and Alfred were in the room beside her began..

What happens as she played the piano
Bruce's eyes widened and looked at Alfred."is that..it can't be..."Bruce said in shock. He ran through the hallway to the room with the piano in it. Alfred following behind him. He stood in the door way. Alfred hadn't seen that look on Bruce's face before. It looked like he was going to cry but
Bruce's tears were strictly reserved. Elena hadn't notice Bruce and Alfred standing there. When Damian came down the stairs he hesitated when he saw Bruce standing there. The reason the piano hadn't been used was because Bruce didn't allow anyone near it. Damian stood in the stairwell low-key panicking as he didn't want Bruce to say anything that may scare Elena because let's face it Bruce is one scary guy when he wanted to be. But Bruce just stood there taking in the music in and Elena had become totally absorbed into the music as she does but in the corner of her eye she could she a figure standing there she assumes it was Damian so she looked up. Only to see Bruce and Alfred smiling and leaning against either side of the the arch way. Both of them smiling. Alfred had more of a shocked smile and Bruce's was a warm smile as if he was going to cry.
*after Elena finished
She abruptly stopped and panicked and hoped off her seat and stood beside the piano."ehhh mr.uhwayne uh m hi I didn't uh..mm",she said "why did you stop you where doing so well",Bruce said smiling. Damian coughed from behind the 2 men"ahem"Damian said working his way through them.
"My mother used to always play that song it was her favourite...you played it the very same..how?"Bruce asked.Elena shrugged her shoulders as she was to flustered to say anything."father this is Elena the piano player from the competition in metropolis.",Damian stepped in. Bruce shook his head hitting back to reality and walked over and shook her hand"ah yes it's finally an honour to meet you and once again you leave me gobsmacked.",Bruce said smiling."ahheehee thanks",Elena said nervously."so what are you up to in here?",Bruce said trying to make conversation."master Damian is going to be Elenas partner for her performance in 2 weeks time.",Alfred said proudly."wait really?..Damian is this true?",Bruce said confused. "Yes father I am so will you excuse us we have to practice.",Damian said maturely.Bruce smirked"alright then you 2 have fun"Alfred walked off and Damian got his violin and Elena quickly glanced at Bruce "feel free to play that song anytime you want",Bruce winked at her and walked off whistling the tone of the song.Elena nodded. Elena thought to herself"what would he be doing everyday other then work?"but before she could elaborate Damian broke her train of thought. " you ready to start?""yeah I am",Elena said smiling.