(32) Child!Gray x Child!Reader ~ Free {Song Fic}

Start from the beginning

Much to (Y/n)'s surprise, at the top of the mountain is a quaint, small cabin hidden behind a large pine tree. Smoke is wafting into the crisp, winter air, telling the young girl that the cabin's inhabitants are home. Her spirits lift. Running with what little energy she has left, (Y/n) makes her way to the entrance and raises her hand to knock. Before she can, (Y/n)'s body intervenes.  The sprint up to the cabin wore her out and her body shuts down to recover, leaving the young girl to pass out. The owner of the cabin, Ul, hears a thump at the door and opens it to find (Y/n) unconscious and freezing. She carries her in and has her two pupils, Lyon and Gray, assist. Gray grabs warm blankets while Lyon watches over the girl as Ul prepares a bed to rest her in.

"She's not that cold," Lyon comments, only to be pushed aside by his peer, who places his own hand on (Y/n)'s forehead.

"No she's not, you idiot! You're so used to the cold, you can't even tell that she's cold enough to be a popsicle."

"Why you-"

Ul silences the boy's when she returns. She places (Y/n) into the bed and wraps her in 3 layers of blankets. When her temperature fails to raise, Ul climbs into the bed and hugs the child to her chest in hopes of speeding the process up with her own body heat.

While clutching (Y/n)'s bundled up form, the woman notices a handful of bruises peeking out from underneath the material.

"What happened you, sweetie.."

And here I stand
And here I'll stay
Let it go, let it go
The cold never bothered me anyway

Waking up in an unknown room scares (Y/n). She panics, diving under the sheets for some form of protection when she hears footsteps  approaching. During her frantic dive, she accidentally hits a bruise, causing a loud whine to resonate across the room.

"I'm not going to hurt you, sweetie," a calm voice assures. "My name is Ul. I found you in front of the cabin last night."

Popping her head out, (Y/n) answers back with her name and a reason as to why she was at Ul's doorstep. "I ran away from home... My father hates me because I'm different. Whenever I accidentally used ice magic in front of him, he would throw things at me..."

"Oh?" Ul is surprised and shocked, but remains levelheaded for (Y/n). "Well, would you like to stay here with me and my students? They're nice boys. You can learn alongside them."

"Okay." (Y/n) nods her head excitedly. The thought of training with other kids just like her warms her heart. She no longer needs to hide her true self.

It's funny how some distance makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me can't get to me at all
Up here in the cold thin air I finally can breathe
I know left a life behind but I'm too relieved to grieve

Learning under Ul's guidance makes (Y/n) happy. She finds herself changing. No longer is she the shy, quiet girl subjected to assault from those who hate her for her abilities; the fear of being scolded for using magic no longer dictates her actions. Now, she can live as the bold, strong girl she wants to be.

Up in the snowy mountains, with Ul, Lyon, and Gray, (Y/n) is free and unfettered.

Let it go, let it go
Can't hold you back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn my back and slam the door