Chapter LXII

One month later...

"...do you, Angel, take Dustyn to be your husband to have and to hold from this day forward?" Gadreel asked smiling down at the young demon's veiled face. They stood together, barefoot on a sandy white beach.

"Yep, with all my heart."

Hundreds of ethereal wedding attendees, most invisible to Angel's living mother, Carol, all chuckled at the bride's southern-fried response.

"Oh, ya'll shut up!" Angel said with a laugh.

Carol leaned over to Jason. "What happened?"

"They're laughing at Angel's accent."

Carol turned and spoke to the empty chairs placed around her. "Okay people, or whatever you are, stop it. I'm watchin' my daughter, Joan of Arc, get married to King David..."

A jogger passing by on the sidewalk raised an eyebrow as he watched the woman shout the odd words at the vacant seats. They shook their head and bounded away.

"You all are rude. This kinda stuff don't happen everyday, you know?" Carol said, pointing an accusing finger blindly at random places along the beach.

"Yes ma'am," the beings said in unison.

"Did that work?" Carol whispered.

Jason nodded with a laugh. "Yeah."

The woman crossed her arms and returned her focus to the wedding. "Good."

"It's alright, mama," Angel said. "They ain't meanin' any harm. We're all friends here."

Carol nodded in understanding.

"Go on, Gadreel," Angel said.

The Watcher gave the former cheerleader a nod and then turned to Dustyn. "And do you Dustyn, take Angel to be your lawfully wedded bride, to have and to hold, forever?"

"I do."

"Then by the power vested in me by...well, pretty much most of the world's religions, I pronounce you husband and wife! You may kiss the bride."

Dustyn stepped forward and lifted Angel's veil. "I love you," he said and pulled her to him, softly placing his lips to hers.

Angel grabbed Dustyn by the face and planted an open-mouthed lip lock on him. The move elicited another round of laughter from the crowd and the woman released her new husband. "That's how you're supposed to do it!"

Dustyn laughed. "Works for me! So, where do you want to go for our honeymoon?"

"I always wanted to see Paris."

"Then Paris it is."

Carol stepped up to her daughter with tears in her eyes. "I'm so happy right now. When you died, sweetheart...I thought I would never get to see this day."

Angel hugged her mother tightly, fighting back her own tears. The girl fanned her face with an open hand. "Mama, you're gonna cause my mascara to run."

Danny laughed as he, his daughter Jill, Carter, and Louisa stood next to Dustyn. "You know what you're getting' into, Dustyn?"

"No..."

Angel cut her eyes at him.

"Yes."

Angel smiled. "Good answer."

"Yes."

"Hey, Dustyn, before you all split, I got something to show you. You got a moment?"

"I have a million for you," he replied. "What is it?"