Chapter XXXIII

Danny and Angel leapt from the stairs as Carter darted across the parking lot toward the parking garage and their waiting, stolen SUV.

"I'm sorry, ummm, body...ma'am? Whoever you were," the sniper said in between steps, the lifeless limbs of the woman's corpse flailing about as he ran.

"These three are mine!" Danny shouted, pointing at the front of the first wave. He spun the glowing blade up in front of him and sped forward. The blade cut left to right, down at an angle, and across once more. The truck driver never stopped running; he just passed through the golden bodies leaving flickering ashes as he travelled from one fake angel to the next.

Angel bounced around through the Grigori like a gazelle, cutting as she went, eventually landing in the center of one surprised group of the creatures. Her blade glowed intensely as she held it to the ready. "Come on, whatcha waitin' on, fellas?"

Angel noticed a reflection on her blade. She rammed the point of the sword behind her dispatching one of the Grigori attempting to sneak up on her. The remaining creatures pounced as the girl brought the sword parallel with her shoulders. Angel did a pirouette, swinging the blade of her weapon out in front of her and like a shimmering human blender, minced up anything within her weapon's strike radius.

"Cool," Danny said as he lifted a large leg and kicked one of his assailants in the abdomen, sending it flying back into a handful of other Grigori thugs like bowling pins. "Strike!" The demon then jabbed his saber the opposite direction, impaling another Grigori on its bright blade. It exploded on contact.

"Danny, head's up!" Angel shouted, beheading two more attackers.

"It's like a golden shower, but in a bad way!" the trucker exclaimed as he spied more Grigori flying in from every direction. "The word's out on the street, honey. We need to scoot!"

"I agree!"

Two bright headlights and the sound of squealing tires erupted from the parking garage as Carter blew through the wooden barricade marking the exit, leaving a stump where the yellow and black arm used to be. The SUV slid around a bend in the road and bounced over the median heading straight toward the Grigori onslaught Danny and Angel were busily attempting to dismantle, but at a slower and slower pace.

"Owww!" Angel shouted as the claws of one Grigori made contact with her arm. It lost its head.

Danny shoved his blade up through the bottom jaw of a Grigori nearly clamping its teeth down onto his shoulder only to find another set of teeth burying themselves in his forearm. The golden creature looked up at him as it pushed the Mongolian back, sinking his claws in the large biceps. Danny bellowed, nearly falling back as another Grigori leapt on top of him like a rabid dog, scratching and biting at him. He lifted his boot and stomped the head of another fake angel snapping at his leg.

Angel launched over the trucker, avoiding a dogpile of enemies to put her blade straight into the head of the Grigori on top of him. It exploded as Danny split the other one in two.

Carter buried the gas pedal and plowed through the growing sea of menacing beasts flowing into the parking lot. In the headlights' beams, he could see Danny and Angel ahead of him attempting to dispatch the Grigori that were pounding on them from every angle. He knew they were going to lose this fight if he didn't get to them and fast. He hit the horn and his skin crawled at the nightmarish vision created by the contorted faces and glowing eyes that turned his way responding to the sound. It was the stuff of nightmares and he had thought he'd seen it all. He stomped the brakes and yanked the wheel hard to the right, sliding sideways into the golden mob, their celestial bodies thudding up against the SUV's metallic skin.

"This is our only chance to split!" Danny yelled, slashing at the distracted enemies. "Angel go on git! I got this. I'll be right behind you! Go, Carter! Get that thing moving! I'm comin'!"

Angel dove between the legs of two Grigori between her as the SUV's engine roared. The two assailants turned to attack her, but their torsos kept spinning until the upper portions of their bodies tumbled harmlessly to the ground; their legs still standing upright.

The cheerleader quickly put away her sword, closed her eyes, and bolted in through the door of the SUV landing on top of the woman's corpse in the back seat. "Ewww..." She lifted her head and pressed her face and hands against the window as she watched Danny jump from the throngs of Grigori pouring over the hospital like a waterfall. "Come on, Danny! Run!" she shouted as the SUV lurched ahead, plowing down several Grigori.

Danny bounded forward, concealing his sword, and teleported with arms outstretched, aiming for rack on the top of the SUV.

"Oh shit!" Carter shouted. In an attempt to keep track of Danny's approach, he failed to watch where he was going. He darted his eyes forward as his peripheral vision caught something moving on the road ahead, illuminated by the headlights. The sharpshooter yanked the steering wheel to the right, swerving to miss a Grigori Prime standing in the middle of the dark road.

The large beast ignored the SUV speeding past it. It was too busy wrestling with Danny, who unfortunately appeared in the air directly in front of it where the SUV was supposed to be. The Grigori giant gripped the warlord around the waist like a football.

"Don't stop!" the former truck driver yelled at Carter. "Keep going!"

"NO!!! Danny, No!" Angel shouted, smacking her hands against the rear window, watching the Grigori Prime turn with Danny still struggling in its clutches. It disappeared into the darkening ocean of Grigori surrounding it.