Chapter 22 | The Next Step

Recap:

After a few turns, I finally pull up in kat's drive, I knock on the door, waiting patiently outside for Nina to open it. After a few seconds,  I hear rummaging behind the door and soon enough, Nina's standing there with her hair in a messy bun, wearing a loose tank top and fluffy unicorn pyjama bottoms.

"Paul? Is everything okay?

Paul's P.O.V

"Phoebe and I broke up," I say, looking at Nina, hiding any form of relief showing up on my face.

"Oh Paul- I'm sorry," Nina says, stepping aside, gesturing me to come inside. I look around Kat's apartment and notice Nina's suitcases propped up against the wall. I decide to go sit on the couch and watch Nina sit beside me.

"It was my fault, wasn't it?" Nina utters.

"Don't blame yourself, this...was all me. I should have been paying more attention to her, instead of..."

"Me?"

"Sorry Nina," I say, sheepishly.

"It was both of us, so don't you dare try putting all the blame on yourself," Nina says, reassuringly. "Um, why did you come?" She asks, nervously.

"We need to talk," I answer, sighing softly.

Nina nods before getting up and going into the kitchen.

"W-where are you going?" I ask confusedly. Nina comes back holding two glasses and a bottle of wine, "If we're going to talk about what just happened, we're going to need wine." Nina laughs.

She sets the two glasses on the table before pouring wine into them. Turning to face me, she gives me a glass before saying, "Why did you punch him?"

"Nina, I thought I already-"

"Paul, stop okay?" Nina says, frustratingly. I nearly jump in my seat, surprised at the sudden change of attitude.

"N-Nina."

"No, you were the one who wanted to be just friends, you chose to be with Phoebe, not me. You pushed me away, so why are you punching guys who are 'flirting' with me when you wanted it to be that way?"

"Nina, I-"

"I'm sorry Paul. I've been trying to keep it all in, but I can't anymore. You kissed me after you said you wanted us to be friends. You surprised me at the airport. How am I supposed to feel? Friends don't do those things, I chose to take it further but you stopped me. Now that I've stopped, why are you starting to take things further? Why-"

"Because I don't want to be just friends Nina!" I say, interrupting her.

"What?" She says, softly.

"It was a mistake, pushing you away. I shouldn't have done those things Nina- I get it. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for telling you we can't be more than friends, but I'm not sorry for kissing you. I wanted it, Nina, I want you."

"You're telling me all this now? Paul, you just broke up with Phoebe." Nina says, shaking her head, placing her glass on the table, taking her hair out of her messy bun and running her hands through it.

"I know that- I didn't want to hurt either of you. But Phoebe and I breaking wasn't a bad thing Neens, this way, I won't be able to hurt her. I loved Phoebe, I loved her so much, but being with her, deciding to date her, it was so I could take my mind off you."

"Paul..."

"Remember when I had just gotten my divorce, and you had broken up with Ian?"

"Of course, we just sat around for hours, watching movies and eating ice cream," Nina says, smiling.