Joa Miller (Transfusions)

(If you've read the Webcomic Transfusions, this is where this fanfic comes from) I wrote this for my English assignment so it lacks a lot of my usual... "style" (swearing) Also this doesn't contain much BL, but I felt it needed to be in this book so yah... Enjoy!

Romanticizing Vampires was an unfortunately familiar fictional trope. Joa Miller was never a fan of the concept, especially once he was transformed into a real vampire. A beautiful yet arrogant creature roaming the night looking for their next meal, eventually taking a girl in a badly written love story. He supposed that people wanted excitement, adventure and something far beyond a normal life. A love story filled to the brim with danger without any consequences. To him it sounded like a load of rubbish.

When Joa was alive, his fair skin and style made many people compare him to those charming blood suckers. He would always wear black skinny jeans with a thick studded belt and a black leather moto jacket with his sleeves cuffed, revealing the material inside. His bright red hair was cut to the left side of his face, covering his forest green. Comparing him to that of a fictional vampire wasn't an unfair observation.

Though once he was turned, Joa couldn't honestly compare anymore. Becoming a vampire drained so much of his personality. It tore away his humanity, leaving him as a husk of a man who only feasted on the blood of the innocent. The only human-like quality he possessed was his relationship to the "family" of fellow vampires who were all turned by the same man.

This "family" controlled a business of lavish casinos in Brooklyn, NYC, a perfect line of work for creatures of the night. They were strong, rich, beautiful and seductive, allowing them to be fed daily by the unsuspecting meals who dared approach them.

This family of his was the main reason Joa despised romanticized vampires. Even if they truly were beautiful creatures, they were never as loving or gentle as described. Vampires were ruthless killers, never showing compassion nor empathy for their meals. Meals. That's all humans were to him. A god damned Big Mac on legs.

Joa was working at one of their Casinos on Rockaway Boulevard. It was a particularly cloudy night, hinting at a storm on the horizon. The bright neon lights reflecting the gold of the casino attracting various pedestrians in the dark of the outside. People varying from young to old all trickled in, ready to basically throw their money away in the form of games.

Inside large chandeliers and light reflected across the room. The bright lights of various poker machines were blinding, as all of the beams shined from one corner of the room. Thick red velvet carpeted the floor, with clear glass walls on all four sides. A large ivory staircase led up to the manager's office, where the head of their "family" (more like a cult if Joa was honest) sat, watching over it all.

Joa was managing the roulette table, a game that usually warranted young hopefuls to approach him. He sat there unamused, as an obviously underage boy started complaining about how his money was unfairly taken. "It was rigged! It landed right on it! This guy cheated! I want my money back!"

Joa rolled his eyes, taking the tokens from the boy and stashing them away. "If you have a complaint, take it up with someone who cares. Now if you don't have any more tokens, then I suggest you move along, luv," Joa's sultry British voice sneered, as the boy stomped away, grumbling and defeated.

A beautiful woman walked up to the table next, clad in a beautiful long silver gown and warm crème shawl across her shoulders. Her long brown natural hair coiled tightly in various swirls. Her dark ebony skin was smooth and reflected the light softly. Across her lips was a bright red lipstick, complementing the tone of her skin. She cared about her appearance, you could tell that from a mile away. Whether it be to hide her personality or to attract others, it was the most obvious thing about her.