Chapter 17 - Radio

~Bellamy's POV~

I knew she would find something, I just knew she would.

"Is there water?" I ask remembering the small creek just a few minutes walk from the old camp walls.

"Yes, she says there's enough to use for cleaning as well as a safe drinking supply." I smile and look to the others around me, knowing Nickal can hear the conversation where having.

"And the dropship?" I ask, wanting to know if the structure is still there, standing strong.

"Yes, it's there." He says and I feel relieved that we will have a place to stay.

We talk for another minute or so about the Ark's condition and the bodies. He has already arranged burials for all the one who chose not to leave the Ark on that final day. I look over the landscape a head of me and wonder what Clarke is doing, if she is sitting by a fire, talking. Drawing or sleeping even, fretting over Madi, who knows.

"Be safe Bellamy." Says Kane finally.

"I will." I say looking down at the radio in my hands. I hear it cut out from the other side and look to Nickal across from me.

"We head home tomorrow." I say looking to the sun slowly setting over the horizon behind Nickal. I get a nod back and lay my back up against the metal behind me. my neck goes slack and I zip up my jacket. Soon my eyes are closed and my arms weak.

I feel my eye lids heavy and try to keep them open as I watch the sun fall from the sky to the ground in front of my eyes, then I remember the book. My eyes snap open and I look to my pack next to me.

I pull open the zipper and rummage through my various items before I feel the hard leather of the book swipe over my fingers. I grip my hand around it and pull it from my back and hold it in my hands. Soon my fingers are swiping through the pages of the book, the black ink splattered on the page.

I look at the page of the strange man and his chair once again, I look at how he seems to be wearing a suit and tie. I look to the person on the ground and look to the staff in their hand and the coat wrapped around their small body.

I look up at the landscape around me before flicking to the next page. The next page has certain words underlined, and circled.

thirteenth stone, you force to solve, use the key, salvation will be resolved

I puzzle over the stupid riddle laying in front of me, who the hell would write this? Is it some kind of a joke? Something to confuse people or does it actually mean something?

I look back to the page and think of the other pages ahead. I place my finger on the last page and flick to the back of the old book, to reveal a blank page, the tipped writing all that is left on the page. I flick back to the last page I had just read and turn it to the next.

No black ink, no scribbles or drawings, no worlds underlined, no, nothing. I sight and quickly swipe through the rest of the book, all tipped writing like on a normal book, only the first few pages vandalised and written on.

Great.

I sigh and stuff the book back into my bag, sick of the riddles and stress the pages of the book feed into the readers brain. I zip up my bag and place it next to me. I place my head back against the metal behind me and close my eyes once again, the last of the sun's rays shinning across earth.

~Clarke's POV~

I unpack the last of my stuff and pull out my binoculars, I place them over my eyes and look towards the drop ship in front of me, the leaves of the trees finding it difficult to see.

Any day now I will finally have my own bed, in my own room, on earth.

I sigh and take my binoculars away from my eyes and place them on top of my pack before looking back the way we had come. Madi and Bellamy dancing around in my mind. Madi is fine, she's a fighter. Bellamy is a fighter, he's fine, but am I?

If I were to lose any of them I don't know what I would do. I have already lost Bellmay once, I can't lose him again and Madi was the only company I had in five years, the person I had to talk to, take care of.

But she is fine, she has her supplies and has spent several days on her own before, when I set out for Polis for the first time I had left for days, testing the soil, looking for the bunker.

But I had given her the day I would be back, this time she has no idea when I will be coming back, if I will be coming back. But I don't have to worry about that now because we are all safe, we don't have to worry about anything like that.

Soon I find my hands moving at their own accord and they land on the radio. I take control and place my hand on the radio and turn it on. I hesitate for a second, who will I call? I can't call Bellamy, the battery would run low and we wont be able to contact the bunker. I look around and see the grounders a few paces away, I think about my plan before picking up the radio and walking around the rim of the bowl and over to a small cliff edge looking out over the rest of the earth.

I sit down on the soil and place the radio down next to me, and leave the red light flashing. I place it up to my mouth and speak into it.

"Hey my little nightblood." I say, I wait for an answer but realize there will be none.

"We found another forest today, we think it will be our new home." I wait a few seconds before speaking again, trying to sound hopeful and convincing myself I'm not insane.

"Remember when I told you that one day you could meet my mum, and Kane." I take a deep breath before continuing.

"My mum didn't make it, but you will still be able to meet Kane." I say with a sad smile.

I think for a few moments before tapping the radio against my other hand. I take a deep breath before speaking into the radio once again.

"Its been over one thousand three hundred days since the death wave Bellamy." I take a deep breath before continuing, my breath mist in the air.

"I need to speak with you when you get back, about supplies andus." I mutter into the radio thinking how stupid I sound. I roll back my shoulders and continue speaking.

"Now with Octavia as the new commander and no, know new threats, maybe we can finally have peace." I say thinking about laying in, in the mornings and Madi having friends her own age.

"We will get Madi once you come back, and show her the new forest." I look up into the sky and look to the stars, the light from the moon reflecting off the small creek.

"Well, I guess I will see you when you come back. Hopefully tomorrow night, maybe the day after thatsoon at least." I think about my next words and I can't help but say them, maybe they will bring me some peace.

"I love you Bellamycome home safe." I turn to the switch on the radio and flick the small switch, cutting it dead.

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed this chapter, sorry I have missed the past few days, didn't mean to. I will make it up to you in the next chapter. As always leave a review if you want more, thanks.

-RFRC