Chapter 6 - Dig

~Clarke's POV~

We all wake at the break of dawn.

The light cracking through the leaves of the green canopy above us. I pack the last suit into the rover and take a deep breath of morning air before closing the door locking everyone inside accept Bellamy.

I walk over to the camp fire and give Madi one last hug and a final goodbye before walking into the passenger seat of the rover, leaving her with all our belongings and a promise to be back soon. I look to Bellamy and give him slight nod and he starts the engine, driving off towards the ruined city Polis.

Madi will be fine. I keep telling myself, she knows how to survive on her own and defend herself, she will be fine.

I look over to Bellamy and want to say something, anything and I find words just slipping out.

"Bellamy, what are we doing?" I ask my eyes locked on the dirt road in front of me.

"Saving Octavia." He answers with, his hands turning the steering wheel directing the rover around a small bend.

I mentally shake my head and ask the question again. "No, what are we doing?" I ask this time and see his body stiffen. He knows how to hide his expressions, but not his body language.

"Clarke" his voice is soft but still sends a dagger towards my skull, if it was to miss or not, I don't know.

"I...I just need Octavia to be safe first." He says his eyes on the road and tree's. I nod my head understanding, he does everything he possibly can to keep Octavia safe. I don't blame him for wanting to put Octavia first.

We drive over the first bump and I hear a small curse from the back. I slide open the small steel flap in between the seats on the wall behind me and talk into the back.

"Everyone ok?" I say into the back of the jeep. I hear a small grunt and peer into the back of the rover.

"Yeah, just hit my head." Says Murphy earning a small laugh form Emori and the others. I smile and turn back to the road, my eyes searching the trees and bushy landscape, enjoying it while it lasts.

I look up ahead and see the trees and bushes slowly start to fade, replaced by scorched landscape and burnt pieces of rumble. We come out of the tree line and I look into the distance seeing nothing.

"Stop here." I say to Bellamy and get out of the rover. I walk around to the back and open up the back door grabbing my binoculars from the door and looking to the others.

"If any of you even feel the slightest bit of sickness, let me know." I say giving them all a nod. I get a round of nods back all accept from Echo who just gives me another icy glare. I shake it off and close the door to the rover and jump up onto the roof. My hands scraping along the worn metal.

I step up onto the roof of the rover and pull out my binoculars and place them to my eyes. I look over the landscape and find Polis, well what's left of it anyway. I see the familiar ruins from my first trip there and recognise the main tower from it all, some concrete pilled higher than others.

I drop down from the roof and land on a mixture of sand and dirt both from the death wave. I kick it off my boots and step back inside the rover placing my binoculars on the dash board.

"Lets go." I say and Bellamy steps on the gas, taking the rover over the scorched dirt of what is left of earth.

~~

We drive for another three or so hours and soon we arrive in what is left of Polis. I take a deep breath before stepping out of the rover and pulling open the door for the others to get out. Soon we are all looking at the once abandoned city covered in blood to the now crusty shell of the buildings that used to stand there.

"Anyone know where this damn thing is?" Asks Murphy getting out of the rover, a rifle in his hand.

"You won't need the gun Murphy." Says Monty from next to Harper.

"Yeah well, I'm not taking any chances after what happened when we landed on earth the first time." He says keeping the gun in his hands. I walk over to the rover and pull my only two handmade shovels and one Monty put together the night before in my hands before handing them out.

"Ok, guessing as that is probably the main tower there." I say pointing to the huge pile of rubble in front of me, some on the concreate in bigger slabs than three rovers stacked on top of each other.

"I would say the bunker is about there." I say pointing to where the rubble dips and evens out.

"Let's get to work then." Says Bellamy taking a shovel in his hands and walking over to the top of the pile, starting to shovel rocks out of the way.

~Bellamy's POV~

Find the bunker, find the bunker, find the bunker

The words are ringing over and over in my head.

I pull another rock out the way and carry it out of the whole I am currently in. I look over to see Clarke in her own hole, her hands grey with ash and the red strands of her hair staring to fade into a grey colour to match her hands. I force myself back into the hole and pick up yet another rock carrying it out of my hole yet again. My muscles screaming for a rest, a break even but I won't let that happen, not until she is in my arms.

As I carry the last rock to the top of my hole I look down to see Echo sitting on a piece of concreate, a small stone in her hands flying between each finger. Up in space I had thought about talking to her a few times but dismissed it, the things she has done, they can't be forgiven, even if they weren't what she through they were.

Even if she nearly killed one of the most important things in my life.

"Back to work Echo." I yell over the several holes of rocks and ash covering what used to be Polis. I watch her throw the rock to the ground before standing up and looking at me. Eventually she steps down into her hole and starts to dig again.

I go to walk back down into my own hole before I hear a loud yell from a hole to my left. I look down in Murphy's hole and see Emori lying on her back, ash covering her clothes and hands and a huge smile on her face. Murphy next to her jumping up and down on the bunker door.

Loved writing this! Please leave a review if you want an awesome Blake reunion next chapter!

-RFRC