Chapter 21

Recap

The rogue stops and opens its jaws. Aaron is farther away from me now looking for the last arrow. At the back of its throat, I can see an orange glow. Then it hits me fire. This dragon can conjure fire and it's glaring right at Aaron. It reals its head back I know what's coming, I don't even have time to warn him. Aaron finds the arrow and is reaching to pick it up. Goddammit.

I sprint towards Aaron and with all my might I shove him forward. He's sent flying forward and I don't have I chance to run before I'm engulfed in flames.

I shut my eyes. I hear Aaron shout as the flames encase me and I wait for the blistering pain soon to come. I waited and waited...there was no pain, it was only warm. I opened my eyes, the rogue was still spewing a steady stream of fire at me. The flames built a wall extending well above my head and to the ground. The flames passed by me it never touched me, it was as if I had my own personal bubble within the stream of fire. What the hell. The fire wasn't hot it was pleasantly warm. I extended my arm and fingertips went into the fire. The fire rolled off my fingertips and didn't cause me any harm. I was too shocked to even begin to think of how this was possible.

"Scar! Scarlet!!" Aaron screams.

I can barely make out his voice. I turn towards the direction I think his voice came from and slowly take a step into the flames. It takes a moment but then I step completely leaving the space that was once open. The fire stream lessens until the rogue stops completely. Aaron jaw hangs once he sees me standing. The fire is gone but I can still feel its warmth around me. A sudden surge of power rushed through me. I turn to rogue and glare at it.

"Leave" I command. Timidly the rogue backs up and in one swift movement, the rogue is gone.

.....

Aaron POV

I was suddenly pushed and I lunged forward. Suddenly a burst of heat came from behind me. I snap my head back and for an instant, I see Scarlet before the flames cover her completely.

"Scar!Scarlet!!" I scream. I can hear my own heartbeat in my ears. Time seems to slow and it feels like an eternity. The rogue keeps a steady stream at Scarlet. It should have been me.

I desperately cry out to her again. I thought for a second I saw something move from within the flames. It couldn't.... slowly but surely I can see more and more of a figure began to form. The rogue stops and Scarlet stands unscathed. She glanced at me for a second but it was all I need to notice her eyes. They were the color of a blazing fire.

"Leave," Scarlet said, no more like commanded. The rogue backed away and then flew off. I was thoroughly confused. Scarlet looked back at me and her eyes still resembled a flame. It changed after a few more seconds and it returned to its normal color.

Scars legs sort of sway before she catches herself.

"Ahh gosh" Scarlet complained and she put her face in her hands and rubbed her forehead with her fingers.

"Scar are you okay?" I ask concerned. She rubbed her eyes and then looked up at me.

"Yeah I think so but what even just happened?" Scarlet asks, seeming just as confused as I am.

"I have no idea but you're fireproof I guess," I pause to think of what would have happened if she hadn't pushed me... I take a step closer to Scarlet.

"You got the rogue to leave and it just listened,"

"I have no idea how and why how that happened,"

"Thank you for saving me," I say, well more like a whisper. I pull her into a hug. At first, she shocked and doesn't know how to respond but she hugs me back.

"Haha, no problem you owe me one" She laughs a bit and smiles at me once I pull away. I look into her eyes, they resembled flames and that fire seemed to dance in her irises.  That smile of hers fades quickly and fear takes over.

"Ember" Scarlet gasps and we both go running to Ember.

Bane was at Embers side coaxing her awake. Bane multiple talon lashes on his side. It wasn't very deep but it still had to hurt.

"Please be okay..." Scarlet's eyes began to water, she sunk to her knees and stared at Ember. As if Ember had heard Scarlet, she opened her eyes.

"Oh thank god," Scarlet let out a breath of relief, "I need to get to the rest of the fleet, the rogue are probably right on their tails. What do I do? what do I..."

Scarlet gets up and looks to the rogue mountain. I look in that direction as well searching for any dragons in the clouds above.

"Scar, how are we going to get there?" I look at her but shes still staring off in the distance.

"Scar?" I ask again, but no response. I step in front of her, her eyes are ablaze and they seem far away. They look the same when she said she was looking through the rogue's eyes. Scarlet wasn't here but she was somewhere else searching. She gasps and comes back.

"That just happened," Scarlet says to herself.

"What just happened?" I ask. Scarlet looks around as if she forgot where she was.

"I just was with Bullet, shes around here and is coming soon," Scarlet answers still seeming confused.

"Sorry, who now?" I ask.

"She's a dragon, the same thing happened I saw everything through her eyes. I called out to her and she answered. That was really weird," Scarlet explains.

Was she with the fleet? Bane questions

"No, no, she said the fleet broke off in all directions. They're trying to lead the rogues away from their base by getting them to chase us,"

"Why would they chase after the fleet they know what we want and that's at their base," I say, something about this didn't feel right.

"Bullet made it sound like that the riders at their base aren't their top priority, why would they leave their base to chase after... it doesn't make sense," Scarlet starts rambling on. I agree it doesn't make sense why would they leave with so few dragons at the mountain. Unless...

"Scar, they're after you. That's what they want. They're going after the fleet looking for you," I say as it dawns on me.  Scarlet nods understanding the situation.

"Bullet is in the area she and few others," Scarlet says.

"What's next then?"

"We're flying to that mountain,"