Chapter 9

Brings back memories. I remembered when I lead the jail break to free the dragon riders. Now was different I was leading the dragons not to fight humans but to fight dragons. We don't know if the Rogue are hiding out at the mines anyway. A part of me hopes they are and then there is another part that doesn't want to find anything there, but how are we supposed to end this without a fight.

Aaron brought his soldiers with him they carried different types of guns and explosives. Aaron however stayed true to his quiver of dragon arrows. They marched on below us and the a fleet of around 50 dragons soared above them. I wasn't taking any chances I had 3 arrows ready to fire. My heart pounded, stop. My own emotions can't get in the way of what is meant to be done. I can't afford to be scared or to second doubt myself. Every time I do that someone I care about gets hurt or worse they die.

We land before Aaron's troops arrive but I know they aren't to far behind.

"Stay on high alert." I say. I don't think we could have our guard higher. I slid off of Ember and walked to the entrance to one of the many mines. I wanted Ember and Bane to stay back with the twins but they wouldn't let someone else fight for them. I could hear Aaron's men coming closer and if I could hear them then the Rogue could too. There is a possibility they weren't here, if they were wouldn't they have attacked already. I took a deep breath, a dragons nose can pick almost anything. I could only smell my dragons, no sign of the rogue, but they was no guaranty they weren't underground. It would be fairly cramped but what better place to hide. It would also be difficult for a dragons note to track them because of the earthy smell.

They're was a large lake nearby if this area was a bust we would try there next. This area was surprisingly large. I honestly couldn't think of any other area for the Rouge to hide out. Aaron's men came into view. They marched in line. There was at least 200 soldiers here, I'm surprised this many came. I was there when Aaron briefed the, the words he used was"Suicide Mission". I couldn't really disagree with him though. If the Rouge were here the odds of everyone going home in one piece was almost 0.

Dylan came with Aaron. He insisted on coming on this mission. I don't know if I fully trusted him yet. Aaron seems to have given him the benefit of the doubt. Dylan could be useful though so I didn't argue against him coming. After this I need to figure out what to do with him.

"Scarlet?" I turn to see Aaron. I shook my head no sign of the rouge, yet. Aaron gets the message, he signals his men to move into the mines. This is where the real battle begins. Only we can fit into the tunnels but if we can drive them out of the mines then the dragons above the surface can take care of them. In order for the Rogue to get to the surface you have to make it to the surface also. Something that seemed so simple was really so deadly. The uncertainty of it all made me uneasy, for all we know nothing but rocks could be down there. Aaron and I move into one of the mines with about 6 other men accompanying us.

The walls were rock and the ceiling above us was held in place by large metal beams.You could tell they were old, some parts were rusted and discolored. The deeper we went the colder and dark it got. The men behind Aaron and I shined lights that lit up the path. They were nervous, I could hear their hearts beating. Although they were scared they came anyway, Aaron had some brave men under his command.

"Scarlet do you think they are here?" Aaron asks.

"It very likely, I can't think of anywhere else they could be." I answer.

"If they were here, how many of us do you think will survive?" Aaron says, he's dead serious. The soldier behind us tense up waiting for my answer.

"I can't answer that because I don't know what the outcome of this will be." What I said was the truth. We continued to walk farther into the mines.

The feeling walking the mine was almost quiet and calm. Too calm, too quiet. I threw an arm out stopping us in place.

"What is it?" Aaron asks. His voice echos a bit. I put a finger to my lips, something is listening.

"Something isn't right." I say in hushed tone. I always trusted my instincts, and they were usually right. Call it a dragons gut feeling, something was wrong very wrong. Suddenly a wave of dread overcame me, what's going on. I felt something, something was terribly wrong. A change in the air. A new presence was here. It waited in the darkness.

"Show yourself!" I commanded using the most demanding voice I could muster. Aaron seemed taken back and surprised. He doesn't know why, he doesn't feel what's ahead.

A low voice chuckled and the air turned cold. A gust of wind blew the hair out of my face. The men behind me took a step back, I wanted to too but I remained still. Show no fear.

"I won't ask again!" I shout louder. My voice echoed through the mine and my grip on my bow tightened, Aaron took notice of my actions and whipped out an arrow. The voice laughed again.

I should of expected nothing less of the Dragon Queen.