Chapter 17

"Aaron where are we going?" I ask becoming impatient. We were walking down the streets of the society and almost everyone we passed by stared at me. I hugged my arms as if that would help cover the patches of scales.

"We're almost there." Aaron says looking up ahead. I follow him glancing up at my surrounding trying to recognize where we were.  Appearing around the corner was the elementary school I went to as a child.

"Aaron what are we doing here?" I question.

"I was asked by the teachers if you could meet with the kids, they really like and when they heard a dragon rider was in town they knew it was you. They have been begging their teachers to meet you." Aaron answer. At first I was faltered then I remember what I look like. I have scales on my arms and on the side of my neck. I was wearing tank top and long pants which hid the rest of the scales. What if those kids only saw a monster when they meet me.

"Why didn't you tell me where we were going?"

"Would you have come if I had told you where we were going?" Aaron asks. I wouldn't have come that's the truth. I'd much rather be at the cove hiding my scales and eyes. Aaron keeps walking ahead and I have no choice to follow him. Reluctantly I watch as Aaron talks to one of the teachers. She seemed shocked at my appearance and gives me a  genuine friendly smile.

"Ms. Haven I can't tell you how thankful I am for you coming to visit us here." The teacher says and holds out a hand. I reach out mine to shake her hand, and I see the scales. I switch my hand to the normal one and she switches hers too. We shake hands and she turns to Aaron.

"Follow me."  We pass by a few empty classrooms, and a door that leads to the play ground. I could see children running around and playing on the grass. We finally come to a stop at room filled with kids who couldn't be much older than 10. She pushes the door open and the teacher stops her lesson to look at the other teacher and Aaron in the doorway. I hang back in the hallway.

"Mrs. Nealson sorry for the interruption but we have a visitor." the teacher who lead us in says. Mrs. Nealson nods and turns to her class.

"Alright, clean up your things we have a visitor today class." She announces. I here the shuffling of feet and paper. I peer into the classroom and see a group of 25 kids. The walls are lined with their art work and projects. Towards the back wall I see a  large paper dragon, colored in various shades of red, green, blue, and just about any other color.

"Everyone knows the rules, I expect you to be on your best behavior." Mrs. Nealson tells her class. With that the other teacher leaves us with a brief goodbye. Mrs. Nelson nods at us telling us to come in. Aaron walks into the classroom first, I see the kids wave shyly at him. Then I step in with my hands hidden behind my back. Their eyes brightened and happy gasped filled the room.

"Everyone Mr. Alaric and Ms. Haven are here to see us today." Mrs. Nealson speaks loudly to try to get her classes attention but all eyes are on me.

"They like you." Aaron leans over and whispers in my ear.  I go to one of the tables of kids and crouch down so I'm at their level.

"Hi, I'm Scarlet." I tell a little girl with adorable freckles on her checks. She smiles at me and then answers.

"I'm Kelsey." She replies sweetly.

"Well it is very nice to meet you." I say and stand up to see the rest of the class. I remove my hands form behind my back to my sides. I slide my hair off my shoulder to show all of my scales. They stare in wonder and awe.

"It's nice to meet all of you. My name is Scarlet." I tell the class. Excitement fills the air and a boy in the front row raises his hand.

"Do you really live with dragons?" He asks excitedly.

"I do, they're super friendly." I answer. Then almost every kid had their hand up to ask a question. Some complemented my scales others asked about my flame on the side of my neck. Soon I realized a boy in the back of the room. He was silent, didn't ask any questions, instead he kept hands in his lap and gaze on the floor. My time with the kids ended when the lunch bell rang. They were very sad but never the less they all ran off to lunch. The boy in the back lagged behind cleaning up his papers.

"Mrs.Nealson who that boy?" I ask her.

"That would be Jasper,"She says and smiles saddly, "He keeps to himself and doesn't really have any friends." I nod and see Jasper adjust the scarf around his neck. My gut told me that he was different he wasn't like the other kids. I walked over to him

"Hi, Jasper" I say in a friendly tone. He stays silent with eyes glued to the floor. I crouch so I can see his face.

"How come you aren't going to lunch with the other kids?" I ask kindly.

"I'm different." He tells me in a hushed whisper. I move my head so he can clearly see my flame.

"I am too," I say to him. Reluctantly and slowly he takes off his scarf so I can see a small flame on the base of his neck.

"You're like me," I say.

"My mom and dad said I'm supposed to tell anyone." His parents are only trying to protect him there are still many people who are still afraid of dragons and riders.

"Your secert is safe with me." I tell him. He hugs me and whispers into me ear.

"I'm not alone any more." Casper pulls away smiling. He wraps the scarf back around his neck.

"I'm sure the other kids are waiting for you. Why not make some new friends?" I suggest. He nods and runs out the door but before stopping to wave goodbye to me. I wave in return and watch as he runs down the hallway.

.....

"So, that wasn't to bad now was it?" Aaron asks me as we walk back to the main building.

"No it wasn't" I say. Seeing those kids made me really happy. They saw me as me and not someting I wasn't.

"That kid, Jasper, he was a rider wasn't he?" Aaron asks.

"Yeah he is." I answer feeling a bit sorry for him. I remeber how hard it was for me. I hope I managed to help a bit today.

"Thank you for taking me there." I tell Aaron.

"No problem, you were sad and I figured it would cheer you up," Aaron shrugs in response. With a clear mind, I knew what I had to do.

"I'm going to get the dragon riders out from the Rogue's base," I say aloud my thoughts slipping out of me. Aaron stops walking.

"Are you crazy?" He asks bewildered.

"Maybe I am," I say truthfully, "But those are my people and I won't leave them in there."

"Then I'll help." Aaron says confidently. I shake my head.

"No, you've helped me enough. I won't put you or the soceity in danger again." I tell him.

"Scarlet you saved my people form the rogue let me do the same for yours." He says determined.

"Okay," Is all I say.