Chapter 12

Aaron

Flashback

"How are we going to get Scarlet back if you have no idea where the rogue went?" I ask Ember.

We are trying to track them using the scent they left on our fishing baskets. Ember says. A while back they attacked us and our dragons managed to get in a few attacks before they... Anyway we  have some of their scales and blood. Its not a lot but its enough to track them down.

"So we can get Scarlet back?" I ask.

We're going to try. Ember says with a serious look in her eyes.

.....

We've been tracking the Rogue's scent for days now and the trail isn't getting easier to find. Finding the trail to begin with was hard enough, now it comes and goes where we travel. Right now we're stopped near a river bank. Ember says we need to give the trackers some time to rest. I agreed with what the dragons are doing but its still time that Scarlet is away with the rogue. I paced around in the shade of the tall trees. My nerves were jittery thinking what could of become of Scarlet and whats going on back home.

What if the Rogue attacked while I'm away? What would become of my home? I still have responsibilities back in the society. I left without thinking.

Aaron, the voice broke me out of my thoughts. I was a bit startled but soon realized that it was just Ember. We're leaving soon so be ready. I nod in response. Ember turned to leave but hesitated.

Aaron what you're doing for Scarlet, risking your life, just know that she would do the same for you.

.....

Scarlet

I've lost count the days I've been here. I'm never quite sure what time of the day it is when regain consciousness. Fatigue made my head feel heavy, often times I would slip in and out of consciousness. Dylan comes and goes, most of the time its just to check on my restrains which are now bolted to the side of the wall. Burns and scrapes cover my body, making moving around difficult.

I believe it's midday, the sun barely makes it to the back of the cave where I'm chained up. There are cuffs that connect my ankles together and chains attached to that which chain me to the wall. My arms were chained together and connected to the wall, Dylan would replace the chains with cuff when I ate but after would wrap my arms up again. If it was midday like I thought then Dylan would come soon with food, but it barely worth eating. It was fish that was so burnt it was crunchy no matter where you took a bite. He'd bring water but it was barely nothing.

The Rogue were playing it safe, they'd give me just enough food to keep me alive but nothing enough to give me any strength. Outside I could hear the footsteps of Dylan coming. I saw his figure stand in the mouth of the cave

"Scarlet lunch is here." He says as he walks in with fish and a cup. He places the large leaf with the fish on it in front of me. He didn't put down the cup though and didn't unchain me.

"As soon as you drink this I'll unchain you." He says.

"I won't drink it unless I know what it is." I say back.

"It's not poison."

"Like I would trust anything you have to say." I was done trusting him, I was done with the whole trust thing.

"Then use your nose Scarlet, you know what poison smells like." Dylan says. I take a deep breath focusing on the scents around me. I could smell the lingering smoke on me and the trees outside. I clearly smell the burnt fish in front of me and mint. Mint? Why is there mint?

"Why is there mint in the cup?" I ask.

"A dragon sense of smell is always true." Dylan says and shows me a mint leaf. "Just some herbs and water to make sure you don't die, the mint makes it taste less bitter."

Do I believe him? Of course I don't want to. The rogue have been keeping me alive they wouldn't kill me now would they? Ugh I'm so dehydrated I almost don't care.

Dylan held the cup to my lips and I drank. The minute the liquid touched my touch I nearly barfed. I tired to spit it out but Dylan's hand clamped over my mouth.

"Swallow it, and you don't get hurt." He commands. Is how I die? Poison? No it was poison, it was thick and had a metallic taste. I swallowed the liquid, Dylan removed his hand and I  spit out the remains. I looked at the floor, the color was a dark red.

The smell of dragons blood filled the cave. I realized what I had drank and I quickly tried to cough up the rest. The mint leaves were to cover the stench of the dragons blood.

"You made me drink dragon blood!" I yell, my voice echoing through the cave.

"I had no choice." Dylan says quietly. No choice? He's working with the rogue why wouldn't he have a choice?

"What do you mean?" I question, he remains silent. "Tell me!"

"Here use this to get rid of the after taste." Dylan's says and pulls out a pouch. He places it on the ground and undos the chains wrapped around my arms he replaces it with cuffs. Dylan's turns and leaves with chains in hand.

What would become of me now that I had drank the blood of a dragon. I already had dragons blood in me, how will this change me? Why was it the rogue burned fire around me for days? Were these things connected?

I needed answers, I needed help. For the first time I allowed myself to think that someone was coming to get me. Are Ember and Bane coming to get me? What about Aaron?  What about the society what would happen if my dragons decided to stop protecting them? No Ember wouldn't allow it.  Was I going to die here? Am I never going to see my family again?

I dismissed the thought of dying, I was going to die here. When I have a chance I can get out. I grabbed the small leather pouch and looked inside. With the dim light I could barely make out the small berries inside. I recognized the type of berry immediately. I used to snack on them back at the cove. During the winter they're bitter but during this time of year they're sweet and plentiful.  They tend to stain my fingertips red though. I stared at the berries for a second and a smile spread to my lips. Thanks Dylan you just gave me an idea on how to escape.