Chapter 3

A long time ago there was group of dragons called the Rouge. Ember began and we all listened carefully. The Rogue were a group of black scaled dragons. Dragons were only allowed in their group if they had black scales. It was a symbol. At first they helped those who needed it. The leader of the Rogue was kind dragon, we don't exactly know how the next dragon came to power but he was nothing like the previous leader. This leader was cruel and wicked cared nothing for the being of others. Dragons that didn't agree with the change of ruling were killed. They went on a rampage they burnt down forests, killed dragons young and old, and just when the surviving dragons were on their tails they disappeared. This was all 50 years ago. Ember stopped and looked at me.

We think they have figured out a way to use the power of the dragons they killed. Stealing the spirits of the dead to empower themselves. Whether or not this story has any merit to it I'm not sure. Cenna elaborating some more.

Oh Scarlet I wish your grandma was here she would know exactly what to do. Ember gave me a sad smile.

"What do they want this time?" I ask. Ember shakes her head as if to say "I don't know". I let the other dragons continue talking as I went go find Monti.

I found Monti by the lake with cloth wrapped around his wound tightly. He stared sadly at his reflection. I was right behind him, placed my hand on his shoulder. I sat down next to him letting the tips of my boots just touch the bank.

"Monti..." I start, a bit unsure of what to say."I'm so sorry. This is my fault. I could of defended you, I let this happen." It wasn't often that I showed emotion to those outside of Ember and Bane. It made me feel very uneasy not knowing how Monti would answer.

Scarlet Monti says gently. The same gentleness my grandmother radiated. This is not your fault, not in any way. Please don't blame yourself. He flashes me a toothy smile.

Monti and I continue to talk until dinner. The sun was beginning set, we saw the dragons returning from the ocean with the baskets of fish. When they neared the cove they didn't slow down instead the kept flying at top speed. Something was wrong. I ran to the center of the cove and looked at the dragons in distance, because of the setting sun a shadow was cast upon their bodies making it impossible to make out the features of the dragons heading our way. They flew right over us dropping the 5 fish baskets. They all landed with a thud. I went over the baskets, my sensitive nose picked up a very strong dragon scent but the dragons were always around the baskets. I opened the closet basket to me and looked at what was inside and was absolutely horrified.

Inside the 5 baskets were the 5 dragons that had gone out to get the fish. in order to fit the smaller basket some of their wings and other body part had been torn apart. I felt the bile come up in the back of my throat. The overwhelming scent of dragons blood was nauseating. Who would do such a terrible thing I thought. Upon closer inspection I realized the pieces of scales in their teeth. They had tried to fight back by using their teeth, in the process chipping off the scales of the attacker, the scales were pitch black.

.....

"Ill kill them all." I shout at the dragons meeting that was being held in the Great Cave."First it was Monti, and know 5 other dragons are dead because of them. Does anyone know how we can find them?" I ask the dragons, they shake their head clueless as to how they were to answer my question. I groaned in frustration.

"We must have at least some clue of their motive." I say desperately hoping for something I could use to stop them from killing anymore dragons. 17 other dragons had been killed in different coves. The other dragons leader came quickly to my cove to meet.

I know Cenna mentioned the transfer of power from the dead dragons to the killers, but I can't fathom how that's possible. If they could do such a thing why didn't they come back before? Ember asks.