Chapter 8

We buried Astrid at the same location my grandmother was at. Dragons who knew Astrid came to see her, well what was left of her, for the last time. Ember and Bane came back with me to the society. They brought the twins, they had just begun to learn how to fly. Astrid would be so proud of them, she was the one who coached them in the afternoons. If only she could see them now. I upped the security around the society and the cove. I made sure that dragon patrols were in groups of three or more.

Now, I need to find out what really happened to Astrid. How could it be that no one saw her die? How did her body get to the society without people noticing a dragon flying in the air? Somethings weren't adding up. Astrid was scouting the area around the society. She would be by herself, but how is that her body got back to the society. The only way I can think of is that they dropped her body from a very high altitude. This thinking is giving me a headache maybe I should take a break there's nothing I can do now to help Astrid anyway...

Now I need to get back to that hellhole. My time out of the society was short I need to go back to talk to Aaron and question Dylan. Although there were more important things I need to do, there is something I always wanted to get and I figure if the Rogue are trying to kill me I might as well do it now while I'm living.

I found a place in the society where I could get what wanted, towards the slums of town.
.....

I admired it by looking at the refection on the water. It was a tattoo that started at the base of my neck and traveled down the spine of my back. It was a dragon, a dragon with scales that held the names of the dragons gone pass. On the wing was my grandmothers name, I had gotten their names so then I would never forget them even if they weren't here. Astrid's name was written in the talon.

Although there are a million things I should be doing. Now I can begin to move forward, I don't want to have to add any more names to the scales on my back. I can go back the society with a clear head. Besides apparently Aaron wants me to sit in another meeting with the generals, because it went so well the first time. I took the window to get to the conference room.

Most of the generals were already seated. Some had just arrived. Aaron sat at the front again and this time a new presence was here in the corner where I stood the last time. I almost didn't recognize Dylan. His hair was cut and was wearing clean clothes. He had tan skin, was lean, and looked about the same height as Aaron. Why was he here?

I went to the table and stood next to where Aaron sat.

"Why is Dylan here?" I ask in a hushed tone so Dylan wouldn't hear.

"If he is here to help, then he can be of use." Aaron's answers but he sounds like he was trying to convince himself. I merely nod my head and look at the map laid out on the table.

"We have been trying to pin point the location of where the dragons are hiding out." A man who I think is General Neal, the one who came with me and Aaron to talk to Dylan while he was still locked up.

"Fortunately we have reason to believe that they are residing in these mountains." General Neal continues, he marks the mountain range far East. I examined the surroundings, there were no near by rivers or lakes, ocean is a good fly away even if they were getting their food from the ocean the fly would take to long and we haven't seen the Rogue by the ocean before the attacks. The temperature in the mountain range was way to cold for any other animals to live up there. Where were they getting their food from? Unless they weren't even in this mountain range.

"They're not there, they couldn't be..."I say and all heads turn towards me, great.

"Who gave you permission to be here?" Oh look Mr. I have a big ego is back.

"I'm here because I was asked to be here." People don't change  do they.

"Moving on, they wouldn't be there. No food source, if I had to bet they would be somewhere around here." I marked an area West of the mountain range. There was a river that ran through the area and old coal mines that weren't used. This would be an ideal place to hide out the large tunnels that stretched out over miles.

"That would make the most sense. I have to agree with you." Dylan adds. I look at him with uncertainty.

"Okay and what do you suggest we do?" Aaron asks me.

"I think we should attack first, if we can get to them first we can get an advantage and that could mean less deaths for the both of us." I simply state because it was the truth. Truthfully waiting at the society made ya sitting ducks and it endanger the citizens here as well. We ended up discussing the plans for the attack on the mines tomorrow.

.....

The sun hadn't even come up yet. The air was cold and silent, maybe it was nerves then again wasn't I the one who lead a prison break. I sat in my old cave and recounted the arrows in my quiver for the 5th time. I didn't really sleep, my thoughts were mostly of Astird, Monti, and all of the dragons. If the rogues were hiding out in the mine wouldn't that mean that I was putting the very people I want to protect in a direct path of danger.

I had resharpened all of my weapons and laid them out on the rocks. I saw the sun start to peak over the horizon, I got up and walked over the rocks that displayed my weapons. I picked up the 2 longest daggers and stuck them in my boots that went up to my knees. The hilt of the dagger stuck out of my boot just a bit. I took another 2 throwing knifes and attach them to my waist. I carried with me multiple blades up my sleeves. Lastly slung my quiver over my shoulder and carried my bow at my side.

Going outside my cave I see some dragons awake, but my eyes focus on the twins who chase each other around. It put a smile on my face but then I remember the danger they are in. No where they go will be safe and I can't do anything about. It's a crushing weight and feeling that I couldn't shake

Auntie!! They call out, Emerald and Coal rush over to me and engulf me completely with their large wings.

"Morning." I say with a cheerfulness, that sounded real to them but it had an underline of worry.

Where are you and the other dragons going? We hadn't told them about the planned attack. The less they know the better it is for them.

No one will tell us anything, Emerald says with sad expression on her face.

"I'm sorry, it's something you don't need to worry about," lie, their safety wasn't in danger it is something they don't need to worry about. "Now, go back to your cave and remember don't come out of it until we return to the cove. Don't come out for anything or anyone. Promise you'll stay hidden" I tell them, they look reluctant but they nod their heads and return to their caves.

"We'll be back soon."