Chapter 23

"You are the sunshine burning in my veins."

A grunt, a curse, and a moan were what it took for Atharva to jolt awake and frantically look around like a wild dog for the source of disturbance to his blissful sleep

And guess who it was?

Of course, Aahana. Who else?

She got drunk very rarely but when she did, she was a pain in the arse in the morning due to her nasty hangover.

Dumbfounded, Atharva stared at the figure lying on the edge of his bed and he tensed when the events of the night before came rushing into his mind.

"A-Aahana?" he stuttered weakly, his adam's apple jumping in nervousness as fear crept down his spine.

He received silence in reply.

Taking a sharp breath, he jumped out of the bed and rushed to the bathroom. His whole body convulsed when he realized they had slept in one bed. And it was he who'd said her to stay.

Oh god, fuck, how could I?

The ice-cold water poured on him, drenching him to the core, and numbing him to oblivion but he stood there. He stood there to stop his wildly pounding heart, to catch his breath, to get a grip on himself when he felt like slipping away.

Drunk or not, never had he allowed a woman to come near him and today he had allowed his wife in his life.

It sounded so natural, 'wife', but not to him. He never wanted a relationship in the first place because he knew he couldn't have one. He was damaged, damaged to his very being- physically, emotionally, and mentally.

What shocked him more was he was here, calm when he should be freaking out because it was just a matter of seconds before he had a panic attack when he was around women as he had gynophobia since the age of 14.

Reminding himself he trusted Aahana and she was different from others, he stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around his hips before walking into his room.

He couldn't stop the chuckle that escaped his mouth when he took in Aahana's state. She was still sprawled on the bed like the dead in her shimmery black dress. Her hair was mussed in different directions over the pillow and her face looked peaceful.

He shook his head and searched for something suitable to wear through his pile of clothes. He finally chose a grey sweatpant and black round neck T-shirt since it was Sunday, no office much to his dismay.