Chapter 12

"Trust me, I tried. I really did. I fought for myself but I couldn't win over my past. That doesn't mean I am weak..."

"Mama will teach you everything

"Mama will teach you everything."

"Baby, you are the best."

"Do you know what you do to me?"

"I love you so much, baby."

"Baby, meet my friends."

"Come on, entertain us."

"You are going to love it."

"Don't tell anyone or you know what will happen."

"Won't you say hello to mama?"

"Come here and give mama a hug."

"I have a surprise for you."

"Do you like it?"

"Did you forget everything?"

"How dare you talk back to me?"

Her voice echoed in his ear, swirling around him and enveloping him in the clouds of his dark past. And then, the memories of his dreadful childhood flashed through his head, becoming loud and clear until his heart hurt and he couldn't bear it anymore.

"Please... no... no...." Atharva whimpered, rolling and thrashing against the mattress as his body shook violently. Beads of sweat covered his forehead, sliding to his face and neck, making him all wet and sticky. Warm tears glided down his cheeks when he saw her approach him with a sweet smile plastered on her face. A smile that was reserved only for him, and that look...it sent chills down his spine.

"Leave me alone. Pl-Please." His voice was barely more than a whisper, but all his pleas fell on deaf ears, and yet again, he found himself curled up in the corner of her room, sobbing. He tightened his arms around himself and shut his eyes, welcoming the darkness.

His eyes fluttered open and he immediately sat up on the bed, clutching his head to stop the world from spinning as he gasped for air.

After a moment, he chanced a glance around his surroundings and heaved a sigh of relief, realizing he was in his room and it was just another bad dream.

He groaned.

Why wouldn't she leave me alone?