Chapter 11

"I don't want to remember my past, but those daunting nightmares always tap me on the shoulder, wanting me to turn around."

Everything happened to freeze the moment her voice rang in his ears

He couldn't hear anything except the click-clack of her heels against the tiled floor, getting closer to him.

Then he felt it. Her presence right behind him as her palm squeezed his shoulder. "Baby, look at mama."

The hair at the nape of his neck stood up and his muscles tensed, a sharp intake of breath leaving his mouth. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't move away from her nor form a coherent sentence.

"Baby?"

His jaw clenched, and he shivered in disgust at her sickly sweet voice. The voice that brought back nightmares he desperately wanted to forget. The voice that reminded him of the dark room and sleepless nights.

"Atharva, come on, won't you give your mama a hug?" He was forcefully turned towards his stepmother who tugged him into a tight hug. His body went limp against hers, his arms hanging by his sides. He shut his eyes to avoid the tears that were threatening to spill.

She pulled back to look at his face and cupped his cheeks. "I have a surprise for you, baby. Come with me."

He shook his head and took one step back, then another, until he was standing a good distance apart from her.

"What—" His stepmother was abruptly cut off when Nisha approached them.

"Dad has been looking for you, Mom. He wants to introduce you to some of his old friends," Nisha said, gesturing towards a small crowd. Harshvardhan waved frantically at her. She nodded, and with a tight smile, she walked in their direction.

"Hey! It has been a long time since we last met. My brother has kept you quite busy, huh?" Nisha wiggled her eyebrows suggestively at Aahana.

She let out a soft chuckle, hugging her. "Happy birthday, Nisha. I shopped your gift online which will be delivered here in two days."

"Wow, thank you!" Nisha beamed. They both turned to Atharva who was standing on the spot, unmoving. They frowned at him.

"Are you okay, Atharva?" Aahana asked, gently shaking his arm.

He leaped a step back and nodded. "Sorry. Happy birthday."

Nisha's frown deepened at his odd behavior. "What's wrong?"