Chapter 27

Vanessa’s POV

                I woke up with the worst headache I think I’d ever had. It felt like my brain was being hit with little hammers. It brought tears to my eyes and I moaned in pain. I rolled over to get up, but a pair of strong arms kept me in place.

                “Hmm… where d’ya think you’re goin’?” Niall’s Irish accent mumbled in my ear.

                “Advil.” Was all I managed before my head began to pound again. I contorted my face in pain, clenching the sheets in my fists.

                “Hey are you alright?” He questioned in concern. I answered by running to the bathroom. I rummaged through his medicine cabinet. Finding nothing, I felt tears of frustration forming?

                “Niall… Advil?!” I cried. He approached, standing in the doorway.

                “What?”

                “I.Need.Advil.NOW!” I stated, tears still brimming.

                “Oh yeah I think it’s in here…” he said, walking out into the hallway. I’m overcome again with my head being pounded. I grip the sides of the sink, turning my knuckles completely white from the pressure. My tears finally fall, creating a small puddle at the bottom of the sink. This, is not normal. “Yup found it… gosh ‘Ness are you okay?”

                “Do I look okay?” I snapped with irritation. His face fell a bit as he poured the pills out of the bottle and into my shaking hand. I popped the pills as if they were candy, quickly wolfing them down, hoping for instant relief. Niall looked at me, reading my pain and enveloped me in a loving hug.

                “It’s gonna be okay. I’m gonna be right here with you. D’ya want to go back to bed?” HE runs his hands down my arms, taking my hands and entwining our fingers. All I could do was follow him. HE laid down next to me, his arm serving as my pillow.

                “I’m sorry I yelled at you.” I whispered. “This is just the worst thing I’ve ever experienced.” He brought my hand to his lips, touching it softly.

                “I get it. Probably had too much to drink last night? Moo.” He winked at me, flashing me his adorable smile and I couldn’t help but smile a bit in return. We laid there for a couple hours, talking in hushed whispers as to not worsen my headache. “Ya hungry? I know I am.” I giggled,

                “You always are. But yeah I am, I’ll come with you.”

                “Ya sure?”

                “Totally.” I slowly eased myself off the bed, leaning into Niall’s shoulder for support. We didn’t even make it to the top of the stairs before I blacked out.

Niall’s POV

                “Ya sure?” I asked her, not wanting her to wear herself out.

                “Totally.” She responded with a weak smile. I got up and wrapped my arm protectively around her waist, feeling her lean into me for support. Just as we were about to go downstairs though, her body went limp.

                “Shit. ‘Ness? ‘Nessa! Vanessa!?!” I shook her body rapidly. “GUYS HELP!” I screamed, hoping at least someone was awake. Liam was the first to arrive, his face paling as he saw Vanessa in a heap on the floor.

                “Niall what happened?”

                “I-She-We… She’d been complaining of headaches, really bad ones, all morning. We were on our way to get food. I told her she didn’t have to get up but she wanted to and then she just collapsed. Liam what do I do?!” I’m almost crying now, freaking out about what could possibly be wrong with her.

                “Go start the car, we gotta get her to a doctor.”

                “No. you go start it, I’ve got her.” I say, being a bit overprotective, but she was my almost girlfriend for that matter.

                “Kay.” He ran downstairs. I could hear his keys jingle as he grabbed them off the table. I scooped Vanessa up, holding her bridal style as I jogged down the stairs and out to Liam’s car. I sat in the backseat, her head lolling in my lap. I squeezed her hand.

                “It’s gonna be alright ‘Ness.” I whispered. We arrived at the hospital about ten minutes later. I rushed inside with Vanessa in my arms, Liam hot on my heels. We checked her in, and I had to watch as the doctors rolled her away, hooking her up to machines as they went. I wasn’t allowed to go and see her for another hour or so. Liam and I sat in the lobby together. He texted Holly, letting her know where we were. She said she’d bring everyone around later. “Liam she’ll never want to date me now.” I sighed. Liam laughed, putting his arm around my shoulder. “What? Why is that funny? I’m being serious!”

                “It’s funny because you are such a noob. Just because she fainted or whatever doesn’t mean she won’t date you. You should have seen the way she was looking at you last night. She’ll definitely want a second date.” He winked.

                “Ya think so?”

                “I know so.”

                “Mr. Horan?” A nurse dressed in light pink scrubs approached where Liam and I were sitting.

                “Yes? Is Vanessa okay? Can I go see her now?” I blabbed in the nurse’s face. She smiled gently, putting  a hand up to stop me.

                “Yes she’s fine, she’s just been diagnosed with a mildly severe case of migraines. She’s in room 282, just down this hallway and on your right.”

                “Oh thank goodness. Thank you.” She nodded, going over to say something to the receptionist. “C’mon Li!” I said, practically dragging him along with me. As we approached her room I suddenly got nervous. What if she was mad at me? Would she even be awake? Will she ever talk to me again?

                “Did you want to go see her or are we just gonna stare at the door?” Liam joked, pushing in front of me and opening the door. I mentally hit myself for freaking out over nothing and followed him in. Vanessa was still asleep, the only noise was the constant beeping of her heart monitor. “I’ll leave you two for a minute and go wait for everyone in the lobby.” Liam said, excusing himself. I nodded, turning my attention back towards Vanessa. She looked so small lying in the big hospital bed. Her face was pale and a bit sunken. Her chest rose and fell in perfect time with the monitor. I crawled onto the bed and snuggled up next to her, wrapping my arm around her so her head was rested on my chest.

                “I’m sorry.” I whispered. “I should have done something… I just want you to know that I care about you and I’m not going anywhere.” I planted a small kiss on the top of her head before dozing off.