seventy-four

"DAN! DAN! DAN! DAN!"
what the hell is happening?
i grab a geeky, wirey-looking kid next to me, he's also chanting,
"whats going on?" i ask.
he shrugs and chugs a beer.
"thanks for the help, man," i sigh, and look for pj.
i shove my way to the front of the room, and there he is, pj, standing on top of a fucking table, gesturing for the crowd to let me through.
i throw my arms up in 'dude what the hell are you doing' kind of way. he sluggishly slides into a slump, so that he is now sitting on the table instead of standing.
"c-c'mon mannnn," he slurs, trying to drag me up on top of the table with him.
"peej, what are you doing?" i shout over the increasingly loud chants.
"i just- just, i love ya, man. y'know?" now he's sobbing, "it hurts," he gestures to his chest, "seeing you like, like all upset, i know, these last few weeks have been, really, really, hard on ya, dude, i just, i just appreciate you, so god damn much."
"okay, okay, just calm down, uh, thanks pj. i know you're drunk and all, and you have absolutely no clue what you're saying, but i needed that. thanks." i step up onto the table and hug him. i wipe away a tear as i pull away.
the crowd has dispersed, and are now talking amongst themselves and pouring the bitter alcoholic poison down their throats.
"okay, lets get out of here." i throw his arm over my shoulder and help him get into my car.
"i r-really do app-ap-appreciate y-you, d-dan, danny-dan." i can hardly make out the words he's saying, but i get the gist.
"i know," i close the car door and make my way to the drivers seat. "thank you."