Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Annie Pov.

Finnick and I walk back home, we had such an good time at the beach. The best part was just hanging out together and not talking about all the horrible hunger games stuff. When we get home we wash all the sand off our arms and legs. Finnick walks me to my room like he used to before he got picked. We talk for a couple of minutes and then I go in my room and fall into a very rare sleep, it's rare because for once my dreams are good.

---------------------------------------------

When I wake up, there's a bouquet of flowers on the foot of my bed. It has a notecard next to it and I read it.

'Good Morning Ann! Went to the store to buy some food, I'll be back soon. Finn.'

I put the card down and pick up the flowers. I walk downstairs and get a vase and put them in with some water. I look around to make some breakfast but we don't really have anything. I take the bread and throw it in the toaster and spread some butter on it. I hear a knock on the door and I expect to see Finnick, instead it's a peacekeeper.

"Hello, is there anything I can help you with?" I ask politely.

"Yes, the other peacekeepers and myself have been told to go around the district and informing everyone that the reaping has been rescheduled. It will be in two days." he tells me.

"What? May I ask why?" I ask confused.

"We were given direct orders from the president that he wanted to reschedule the reaping. We weren't told why, but we did as we were told." he explains.

"Oh, thanks for letting me know then." I thank him sadly.

"Is this Finnick Odair's house?" he asks suspiciously.

"Yes it is. Why do you ask?" I ask him.

"No I was just wondering. Do you live here?" he asks.

"Yes, his parents stay here to when he's gone though. So they will stay here when he's mentoring the next tributes." I explain.

"Are you his sister?" he asks.

"No. I'm his friend." I didn't say girlfriend because I just didn't know what he would say.

"Are you... Annie?" he asks.

"Yes." I respond.

"Well, enjoy the rest of your day, Annie." he says as he walks away.

Why is the reaping being moved? Why was that peacekeeper acting so weird? I have to tell Finnick everything when he comes back. I sit on the couch watching TV until I hear a knock on the door. When I open it this time, it's Finnick. I hug him as he walks in.

"So you missed me that much while I was at the store?" he asks sarcastically.

"The reaping has been moved. It's not in two weeks it's in two days now." I whisper.

He pulls away from the hug. "Who told you this?" he asks.

"The peacekeeper. He said that President Snow gave him and all of the other peacekeepers orders to tell everyone." I explain.

"Why would President Snow move the reaping? It doesn't make any since." he says confused.

"I don't know. I asked the peacekeeper and he didn't know either." I say. "I guess we only have two days together."

"Let's make them count." he says sadly.

We go back to the beach with a picnic like we did yesterday. We try to ignore the reaping that's earlier then it was supposed to be. We go back home and go to bed. I can't sleep. Finnick is going to be taken away from me earlier than he was supposed to. Why do we have to live like this? Why can't we just work for the Capital and not have the games? It would make things easier, save them money. Why does Snow make things so complex and complicated? I wish someone new all of his dark and disturbing thoughts that are stored in his twisted mind.