Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Finnick Po

65th reaping

"Finnick Odair." Pearl calls out.

Me. I'm going into the arena at age 14.

"I proudly introduce your tributes of district four!" Pearl says.

I am moved to a room where my family and friends can come say goodbye. My mom and dad walk in first.

"Finnick I'm so sorry." mom says.

"Mom I'll do my best it's okay." I say trying to be strong for her.

"Son, if you set your mind to doing this, I know you can come home to us." Dad says encouragingly, "Good luck."

My parents hug me and kiss me on the cheek. Mick comes to say goodbye next.

"You've always been an awesome friend to me, I know you can win." he tells me.

"Thanks Mick." I say.

Jerry comes to visit me and says something similar Mick, and so does Sarah. Before Sarah leaves she tells me

"Annie is going last." she says.

I nod my head.

Annie walks through the door and she looks like a mess. Her hair is all messed up, her face is dirty, and her eyes are full of tears. When she walks up to me she kisses me on the lips softly.

"I love you." I tell her.

"I love you to." she says. "I want you to win I know you can win. I believe in you with all my heart."

"I'm going to win for you. I'll come back for you." I promise her.

She brings me in for hug.

"I need you." she whispers in my ear. I can hear her voice get cracky as she talks. And I feel her tears streaming down my back.

"Annie, I promise I'll do anything in my power to win okay?" I tell her.

"I know you will." she tells me, "this is the first year that I have a reason to watch."

We still have five minutes and we spend them in each other's arms. I don't want to lose Annie. I don't want Annie to lose me. What happens if I don't get back? No! I will get back! The peacekeepers come in and when I slowly try to pry Annie off of me, it makes her try to hold on tighter.

"Annie I need to go." I say softly.

"Finn! Finnick!" she yells.

"I love you Annie." I shed one tear as the girl I love with all my heart, is ripped from my arms. I can't protect her from an arena. I can't hold her when she's scared of the games. I'm useless to her right now. It made me want to break down into a crying fit when Annie came in with puffy, wet, red eyes. I hate seeing her sad. Sarah even told me that she fell into her arms when she heard Pearl call my name. She said that Annie dropped to the floor and started crying. I won't see Annie's reaction until we watch replays on the train. When we get on the train, I get my own room. Our mentor, Mags, is very nice. She is older because she won one of the earlier games, but it seems like she knows a lot about them.

"Okay kids, let's see who our competition is this year." she says.

They play the reaping and of course the tributes from one and two are overly strong. District three doesn't look very intimidating this year. Then they play our reaping. Hannah watches as her name is called and I wait for Pearl to call mine. Then they use their cameras to record Annie's break down. She drops to the floor, but Sarah catches her, she starts mumbling my name and then she bursts into tears.