Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Annie pov.

We start walking through the jungle in silence. Trying to get our way to Finnick's house. He has to walk a long way to get to the beach. I can't believe how big district 4 is. I always saw it on TV when the kids were being reaped, but they never showed us what it looks like. It's amazing how beautiful it is.

We continue to walk in silence until Finnick breaks the ice. "So are you nervous?" he asks me. I don't really want to talk, not because Finnick said or did anything wrong but because I'm just quiet plus it's hitting me that if I live in district 4 I'll never see my mom and dad again. Will they miss me? Are they worried about me? Are they thinking of me right now? "Uh hello? Ann? Annie?" Finnick starts to say.

"Huh what?" he looks at me with a grin. "Oh sorry, I zoned out a little." I say. I've always zoned out since I was little. I get so caught up in what I'm thinking that you could scream in my ear and I might not answer.

We finally reach Finnick's house. We walk up to the front porch, I see Finnick's mom standing with his dad. They look upset. Then I realize that they haven't seen Finnick since yesterday and that they probably got nervous that something bad happened to him. We get to the front door. Finnick opens the door and his mom sees him, when she does she embraces him. "Finnick!" She yells. "Where have you been?! Your father and I have been worried sick. We were going to call the peacekeepers if you didn't show up by morning.

His dad walks over to us. "Would you like to explain where you have been all day and last night young man?!" He asks.

I step next to Finnick so that they can see me.

"Who is this?" His mom asks.

" Mom, this is Annie." He says.

"Nice to meet you Annie." She says. Clearly wanting an answer on where her son has been for the last day and a half.

"Mom Annie's parents died and they live here but I was hoping she could stay with us temporarily." Finnick lies. Why did he lie? Right, he doesn't want his parents to tell the peacekeepers. They would punish me somehow, turn me into an avox or something.

"It's nice to meet you, I don't want you to feel pressured into letting me stay in your house though." I say to his parents. They stare at me with their brown eyes. Where does Finnick get his sea green eyes?

His parents look at each other for a second and nod there heads. "Annie, you are more than welcome to stay with us for as long as you need" his dad says.

"Thank you Mr. And Mrs. Odair. I appreciate this very much." I tell them.

"Finnick I know you were just helping a friend, but next time let us know where you are!" His mom says.

"I will mom. Should I show Annie to the guest room?" Finnick asks completely changing the subject.

"Yes" she says, excusing him so that he can take me to my room.

We walk through the halls. His house is pretty big. It has three large bedrooms, with two bathrooms, a kitchen, dining room and a living room. We get to my room. It is ocean themed. It has palm trees on the wallpaper, with seashells and sea stars on the furniture. It's beautiful.

"Like your room?" Finnick asks.

"Like it? I love it." I tell him. It is one of the most beautiful bedrooms I've ever seen. I can't believe its mine.

"Good, I'm glad." He smiles. I look at him and he looks at me with his light sea green eyes.

"Thanks for everything you've done for me, I don't know how to thank you." I tell him. I really don't know how I can repay him for everything that he has done for me. He has saved my life, brought me enough food for an army, and let me live in his house for as long as I want. And he lied to his parents for me.

"I think a hug goodnight is enough thanks for me." He says. I giggle and give him a big, warm hug.

"Goodnight Finnick." I say

"Goodnight Ann" he says.

I close my door and I smile. I lay in my bed and fall into a deep, peaceful sleep.