Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Finnick Pov.

When I see what I saw on the TV, I walk out of the room. I go into my room, lock the door, and I lay in my bed. I start quietly crying. Why did they have to take her away from me? Why did they have to take me away from her? Someone knocks on my door. I look in the mirror, wipe my face to try to hide the tears, and I open the door.

"Finnick who is that girl?" Mags asks.

"Mags, that was my girlfriend. Annie." I tell her.

"Oh I remember her. Now I remember you! Bethany loved you right? You loved Annie? You guys have been dating for a couple years now haven't you?" she asks.

"Yea." I say flatly.

"I'm sorry, that you're here." she tells me sadly.

"I am to. My name was entered three times out of a possible two thousand. District four's population is very high. Why did I get picked? 1997 other people could've gotten picked." I yell a little.

"Finnick, I hate my job as a mentor. I always get to know really great kids, and both of them or one of them die. It's a horrible life we live, but if you don't put all your focus into training, scoring, and the interviews, you can't win. But if you do, you will be back with Annie in a couple months." she tells me.

"Your right Mags. If I'm going to win I need to stay focused on winning. Thanks for helping me." I thank her.

We get to the capital, everything is so big. If I lived here, what would I do? Shop for weird clothing items, watch children being slaughtered? It seems like such a waste of life. Pearl and Mags walk us to our apartment styled home. It's very oddly decorated, but it's big. We eat dinner and I go to my room to go to sleep. The tribute parades are tomorrow. They are going to give us a prep team, and a stylist. We are going to be dressed up and thrown on to a horse-drawn chariot. I fall asleep and I have a nightmare of Annie crying because I died. I wake up. Focus! I go back to sleep and do my best to tone out and ignore the nightmares about losing Annie.

----------------------------------------------

When I wake up, I walk out and eat breakfast. After that we are taken with our stylists to get ready for the parade. My stylist is very nice, but her name is Annie! I'm supposed to stay focused but with a stylist named Annie! I swear the capital does these things on purpose. I think they plan them.

I look at my outfit in the mirror. I am wearing an all blue shirt and pants, with a fishing net on my shoulders. The shirt looks like a wave. It has many different colors of blue and green. I remember making a painting for Annie of the ocean. That was one of her favorites. Snap out of it! I think to myself.

We get on the chariot and everyone is cheering. I wave and give a small smile. When the chariots stop, president snow gives the usual speech, and we go back to the horse stables. I see a plate of sugar cubes, I've never had one before, so I snatch two of them. They're just sugar, but it like the way they feel in my mouth. We go back to the apartment. We eat dinner, and go to bed. Tonight I really need sleep, tomorrow is when training starts. I need a good score from the game makers so that I can get sponsors. Some sponsors spend hundreds of dollars on tributes. So I fall asleep, as my nightmare torchers me. Waiting for them to stop, even though they never do, because I wake up in one every morning.