Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Annie Pov.

Two years later: the day of the 65th reaping

I'm 13 years old now. I'm old enough for the reaping. I only put my name in two times, the minimum for my age, and Finnick puts in his three times, the minimum for his age. Finnick and I are still dating, and we still live together. We still hang out with Sarah, Jerry and Mick. Sarah and I have gotten closer. Other than Finnick she's my best friend. Everything has been going good the last couple of years. Everyone is nervous about the reaping today. Finnick and I stay together as we walk up to the female peacekeeper to get our blood taken. She takes mine first and Finnick holds my other hand and turns my face to face his so that I don't look at the needle in my arm. I hold his hand when they take his blood. We're separated when I have to go to the girls side and he has to go on the boys side.

They play all the boring opening reaping ceremonies per usual and then Pearl comes on the stage. "Welcome to the 65th hunger games reaping." Pearl says. "Ladies first!"

She walks to the girls reaping bowl. "Hannah Jones" she says.

The girl walks up to the stage. She's about 15 years old. She could win the games, she's strong and pretty so the sponsors will like her. I have seen her at school before. We occasionally say hi to each other in the hall. I feel bad because she is a nice girl. Although I'm relieved because Sarah and I didn't get picked, but there's still the boys category.

"And now I will choose a boy." Pearl announces. She slowly approaches the reaping bowl. "Finnick Odair."

Sarah catches me as I fall to the ground, and my eyes burst into tears.