Chapter 11: My Ending

New Years Eve:

A month has passed, and one more aching visit to the hospital. It was strange not having Shawn by my side, or anyone else for that matter. My cancer has made no progress or improvement, which can be a good sign, the doctor reassures me. I leave the hospital feeling a little more empty than the last time, knowing that there is little hope for my condition. My body is covered with tumors and it is only time until I can no longer live. I know death awaits me.

The doctors continue to tell me to do whatever I want to do with the remainder of time I have left, and all I want to do is travel, but I cannot afford it, so I've been spending all of my money on more books, that way I can travel to galaxies beyond this world and I can be whoever I want. It's cheaper this way. I dropped out of school and have secluded myself to my small apartment. The doctors also tell me I have a special case. Whatever that means... I try to follow what they are telling me, but as I sit in their office, all I want is to be with him.

Every time I go on social media, I continue to see my face plastered across the pages of scandal magazines, now they continue to fade and move towards new things. I still see the nasty things they write about me on twitter, but I snapped my phone in half at that point. I continue to see him singing on countless shows and channels, my heart aches every time. He is constantly questioned about the mysterious girl in the park, but he refuses to answer every time. I could almost see the hurt in his eyes, but I am most probably just making it up in my head.

Even though a month has passed since I left his lips on mine, I have never forgotten the burning in my chest every time I hear his name or hear his music playing on the radio. Each time, I turn it up louder not caring if the world hears the words. He has come out with many new songs since I left him, but what I did was right. He could never be with me. I had to put as much distance between us as possible, to save him from the heartbreak, even though I was breaking my own. Watching him sing his heart out on the new years show, my heart continues to ache to be in his arms.

I have received countless letters from him, at least one every week. Each one I am too scared to open, knowing that once I do, I will run back to him in a heart beat and will never leave him. That is what my heart is screaming for, while my mind knows it will only bring him more pain.

A knock comes from the door after Shawn is done performing on the live show. I click off the tv, I wipe away my tears and get up knowing it's the pizza delivery guy. I fix my dress, after deciding that if I am going to die, might as well dress amazing in the last few months I have left. I even did my hair which is surprising to me because I have never really been into it. I pick up the change I prepared on the counter and open the door. Except it is not the pizza delivery guy, it is a taller guy wearing a black suit. When I look up, it's him. No words pass my lips as I stare up at him and he stares down at me.

"Please just listen to me. I will never bother you again after tonight, but please just listen to me." He pleads. "I do not care how much time we have together, but I want to be with you. I am going to leave tonight unless you tell me that you do not want to be with me. You know how I feel about you and those feelings have not changed. I love you Annie, and I will do everything it takes to be with you. We will do anything that you want to do as long I am with you. I need to be with you. Please, Annie."

The burning in my chest bursts and the love I have for him can no longer be contained, it explodes and takes control of all my senses. I reach up and pull his lips to mine and I am lost in his arms that pick me up and crush me against him. I never want to leave his arms again, I never want to pull away.

I put as much distance between us, just to be back together. Some stories are not always happy, but as my cancer continued to progress, we traveled the world together, going to Egypt, Greece, Italy, India, the United Kingdom.... I lost track after a while, but I didn't care because I was with him. No matter how many places I have seen in the world, he will always be my one and only world. Even if I wanted to save him from the pain, he was with me to the very end, as I write this story sitting in the waiting room, awaiting my final test results to update my case. Shawn sleeps in the chair next to me as I scribble in this journal.

Shawn, if you do end up reading this, just know that you were the one who made me turn into the beautiful butterfly I was always meant to be, I just needed you to push me forward. You sing me to sleep every night. You have made my life better with you in it, and I am completely thankful that you have been here for me.

Even if I am going to come to my last moments, I still feel strong enough to travel to another country and to love him completely, and that is where I will want to spend it. I don't want to leave him.

A nurse greets us and brings us to a private office, where we sit and wait for the doctor. After a few minutes, a new doctor enters the office and Shawn quickly takes hold of my hand as he always does, knowing I love the security it gives. I do not recognize this doctor, after seeing countless with my hospital visits, but his soft eyes reassure me with a smile.

"Anna," The doctor begins, staring down at the clipboard in front of him while he settles into his chair across the desk between us. "My name is Dr. Manson."

"Whatever it is doctor, I just need to know how long I have left. There are still things I want to do." Shawn squeezes my hand reassuring that he is still next to me no matter what and I know he will be.

"You were diagnosed back in November, and we are currently April, and such a case as yours, would have progressed very quickly, and it is stagnant, no changes, no progress. So we did another test on another individual. We have no idea how this has happened, but the machine was... Anna, you do not have..." He pauses, and I expect him to tell me something, just anything. Those few seconds he paused between words, felt like ages passing by. I squeeze Shawn's hand, not knowing what to expect. He most probably will tell me I need to take more tests to make sure, so that they can see more clearly... Just something about my condition.

"You do not have cancer." He finally says. "you were falsely diagnosed by your previous doctor. He was certain, but when I took a look at your case, and after redoing your scans. It turns out that the MIR scanner was malfunctioning and made your scans appear if you had stage four cancer. But Anna, you are completely healthy." He smiles. "Go live your life."

I am crying before I realize the arms wrapping around me and pulling me to my feet. I am lost in his scent as I hiccup. We leave the hospital for the last time, and I never return. We drive in silence as I cry, and pull up to the house where this all started. He guides me inside, and sits me on the couch, bringing a tall glass of water that I sip slowly, still taking in the words from the doctor. I was falsely diagnosed. I do not have cancer... Then I'm smiling, bigger than ever before, and I turn to Shawn and jump onto him, kissing his lips. Tears continue to pour down my cheeks, but I do not care. I can be with him. I am not dying. I can live. I have never been happier in my entire life and now I want to live my life to its fullest capacity. I am no longer afraid, I want to live.

* Thank you all for those who have been reading through this story! I am very thankful for your support and love for this story! If you want more stories in the future, I have plenty that will be approaching in the upcoming weeks!*