Chapter 7: Waking up

Cracking open my eyes, I am blinded by the burning light above. A beeping continues as a rhythm next to me. I am not wearing a paper thin dress with my back completely exposed. I pull the thin blanket above me higher on me. My hand is warm from the soft object wrapped around it. I look over to my right and see my mom smiling at me. She leans down and kisses me forehead.

I open my eyes again and she is gone, but the warmth of her kiss burns my forehead. When I look in the opposite direction, Shawn is sleeping awkwardly in the small chair, his fingers laced between my frail ones. I squeeze his fingers, and his eyes open to me, revealing their dark caramel color.

"Thank god." He breathes, squeezing my hand back.

I try to speak but my throat is a burning fire, so I point to the glass next to me which Shawn hands to me. I take a sip of the cold liquid and give it back.

A doctor steps into the room wearing a white jacket and blue clothing. He smiles at me, then proceeds to stare down at the paper in front of him.

"How are we feeling Anna?" He asks me, flipping to the next page.

"Fine." He places the clipboard on the edge of the bed and steps over shining a flashlight into my eyes and checking the iv in my arm.

"After having done some tests, we discovered why you lost consciousness. You experienced an intense decrease in blood pressure due to the consumption of alcohol that we found in your system. Your body cannot consume the alcohol properly and in turn will make you faint, even the smallest amount." His face turns to Shawn next to me. "She must get a lot of rest and must not experience any stress within the next couple of days. Other than that you are perfectly fine. You are free to go when you are ready."

The doctor leaves shutting the door quietly behind him.

I look to Shawn who has dark slugs beneath his eyes and his normal pink complexion is paled. I squeeze his hand reassuring him I am fine. He smiles back and leans forward planting a butterfly kiss on my forehead, in the same place my mother just did. My cheeks are burning, but I do not care, I just smile instead. He then releases my hand and picks up the backpack next to him taking out a t-shirt and pair of jeans.

"My agent brought you some clothes."

I thank him and move my legs to the side of the bed. My arms ache as I try to lift them, they feel as if they are covered in weights as I take the pants from Shawn. I try to put my foot into the first hole as Shawn makes his way to the door.

"Shawn." He turns to me. "I need your help with this, I am too weak." I hated to say those words, but trying to put my foot in that hole was not going to happen no matter how much I tried. He comes back over and sits in the chair once again. He puts my first foot through the hole, and then the second.

"I think I have this part." I place both feet on the ground and try to stand. My legs give out of me and I fall into his arms. He holds me upright and puts me back on the bed.

"Okay I promise I will close my eyes, but I am going to pull your pants up for you." I try to protest, but he shuts his eyes and in two seconds my pants are up.

I take the shirt next and reassure him I am alright with this part, with my arms slowly building strength. He leaves the room, and I remove the paper dress and slip on the loose shirt. He comes back in with a wheelchair, and he helps me into it keeping his hand on my waist. Once settled, I shiver and try to rub away the goose bumps on my arms.

"Oh wait, here." He slips off his sweater, pulling up shirt revealing his abdomen and I couldn't help but stare. He smirks and pulls down his shirt. He then helps me into his sweater already nice and toasty. He wheels me out of the hospital. I try to stand to walk to the parking lot where his car is, and my knees slightly give out. Shawn catches me and lifts me up bridal style and carries me through the parking lot. He comes up to a jeep where he opens the passenger side and puts me inside. He gets into the driver's side and roars the engine to life. The radio begins to play and I recognize the voice.

"please have mercy on me..." The singer continues.

He turns it off in a laugh and begins driving.

"Thank you, by the way," I say. He reaches over and takes my hand, and brings it up to his lips.

We drive the rest of the way hand in hand until parking in the driveway of the house. The sun is setting as I open the door and step down, Shawn lifts me before I can take another step.

"I could walk Shawn." I laugh, my eyes dropping while I snuggle into his chest.

"The doctor said you needed rest, so that is what you are going to do." He carries me into the house and up the stairs to my room, where he places me onto the bed. He goes to the drawers and takes out two pairs of jogging pants. He hands one to me and leaves the room. I pull them on quickly and he returns in a few minutes wearing some of his own. I lean back and he pulls the blankets up over my aching body. He nods and goes to leave the room, I reach out and take his hand, not wanting to be along. The thought of my mother comes back to me. I wish I could hear her voice again as she has always sung me to sleep when I didn't feel good, but with Shawn, I get that same feeling, as if nothing could ever go wrong if he is near. He sits down next to me and gentle traces the edge of my face, moving away a fallen piece of hair. My skin tingles from where he touched.

"Please don't go." I whisper, squeezing his hand.

"I won't. I'll be right here." He squeezes back and I lean further back in the pillows. I close my eyes and take in a deep breath, knowing that as long as he is here, I will be safe.

A voice begins to sing next to me, and when I open my eyes, Shawn moves his lips to a lullaby, the same one my mother used to sing to me. I blink away the tears building in my eyes and wipe them away with my free hand.

"Please don't cry, everything is going to be alright." He traces his thumbs across my cheeks and removes the last bit of tears.

"I just miss her so much." I whimper.

He pulls me up into his arms and rubs my back as I hiccup. After my hiccups are gone, I lie back into the blankets, and Shawn crawls in next to me pulling me against him. He brushes his fingers through my hair and I lean against his chest and breathe in his sweet scent. I fall asleep in a bliss, as he continues to lullaby.