Chapter 6: Dinner

Twenty minutes later, a knock comes from my door, and I fix my hair just before opening it. When I finally do, Shawn wears a black suit and white shirt. His pearly teeth shine as his lips spread revealing his smile. His eyes take me in and for a moment, I am lost in his. There are no words forming, but as a recovery, he reaches his hand between us. I take it and he guides me downstairs. The lights have been dimmed and soft violin music plays. He guides me into the dining room where candles are lit, and the table set up. He leads me to my chair where he helps me, pushing in my chair as I sit. He leaves the room and returns with a white square box.

"I thought we would eat some delicious" he sets the box down in the center of the table. "cheese pizza."

I laugh nervously, as he serves a piece into my plate and then into his.

"And what would the lady like to drink?" He asks.

"Well, what is there to offer?"

"We have a variety of drinks. We have juice, soda, wine, and water."

"Why don't we make this night extra special and have some wine?"

He leaves the room with a swish and returns a moment later with a chilled bottle of red wine. He pours us each a glass, and finally sits to eat. I take my glass and lift it in the air.

"Cheers." We both say. Our glasses click and I take a sip. The drink lightly burns as it travels down the back of my throat but a sweet berry taste remains on the tongue. I take a bit into my pizza and take another sip of wine.

"So you haven't told me much about you." he says.

"well, what would you like to know?"

"Did you grow up around here?"

"Yeah, I did. I grew up in the country, and then moved into the city for school."

"What did you parents think about you moving into the city?"

I put down my pizza and lean back in the chair. I look away to conceal my tears and try to form the words.

"They wouldn't know." I take a deep breath. "They died in January."

He takes hold of my hand with both of his, wrapping tightly around my fragile fingers.

"I am so sorry. I didn't know. Please don't cry. Anna." I turn to his pleading face, blinking away tears.

"I'm okay."

"Come here." He stands up and lifts me to my feet, wrapping his arms around me.

"I am truly sorry about your parents. But you cannot forget that they loved you and that they would be proud of you."

Being pressed up against his chest, I am no longer tearful, and I am completely relaxed, as if nothing wrong could ever happen, just being here wrapped in his arms.

The music changes to a soft piano and he lets me go leaning his hand out forward, slightly bowing.

"Would you care for this dance?"

I smile and take his hand. He twirls me into him and we begin to sway back and forth. I lay my head against his chest and breathe in his sweet scent. The sun begins to set outside and I close my eyes, drifting as our bodies move next to each other. When I open my eyes again, the sun is gone replaced by the twinkling lights from the stars far above us.

"Thank you." I say.

We go to pick up the dishes and I pick up my plate. I smack the plate against my wine glass splattering wine across the dress.

"Oh my god. I'll pay for it entirely." I begin mumbling all the excuses in the world, but he presses his finger to my lips stopping my rambling.

"It's completely fine. Do not worry about it. Let's go get you changed into something else instead."

He guides me upstairs and into my room, where the pile of clothes is still on my bed. He takes off his coat and places it on the edge of the bed, while I begin rummaging through the clothing for something to wear.

I pick out leggings and a sweater.

"Sorry for the downgrade." I shrug, as I make my way to the bathroom.

"You look beautiful in anything."

I hurry into the bathroom, concealing my burning face. After changing out of the dress, now stained with the red wine, I hang it back on its hanger and leave it on the back of the door. I pull on the sweater. It is huge and falls down to my knees. Then I realize that I didn't take the leggings with me.

I open the door to the bathroom and stick my head out. Shawn is staring out the window, he turns when he sees me step out. Man could he look any more beautiful I would seriously faint right now. His cheeks burst into red flames and then I remember why I peeked my head out, but the door fell open and I am standing there in just a sweater.

"You... um... um"

"I... um.... forgot to take the leggings." I stammer.

I go the bed and pass Shawn as I do. His gaze never leaves me. I find the leggings and take them with me, I go to pass Shawn again and he steps in front of me.

"Anna." He whispers.

I look up to him and his eyes are locked on my lips. He leans down but I move past him, my stomach turning into knots as I do.

"Sorry, I... um..." I go into the bathroom and shut the door. I lean on the door and sigh. Why did I just do that? He was literally inches away from kissing me and I moved away. My train of thought stops as a severe pain rivets through my chest and continues to grow, I try to call out to Shawn, but my voice is lost. I fall to the ground into a crash and the world becomes dark.